Engine Overheating fast

I just installed a top end on my bike. Bike is hard to start on first go and ran for like 15 min first run and sounded good. It wouldnt idle right until i remembered to install the air filter and lid (was spraying some carb cleaner in to help it fire up). bike didnt heat up until about 15 min and then i shut down.

I let the bike cool well over 30 min. More like couple of hours.

Second time. Bike hard to start. Had to use carb cleaner again to help fire it up. It then ran fine, but i checked it like 2 min it was hot. Is this normal on break in as first time it went about 15 min? I was keeping bike in my garage idle unless needing to keep it running until it would idle.

Thanks,

compression does change jetting needs.
if you had your bike jetted correctly before you redid your top end, you may need to jet it again.
also, for break in, you are supposed to run your bike real rich, like 12:1 gas to oil ratio.

Don't run your quad at 12:1. You don't need it that rich on a break in. Check to see if you've got an air leak, could be why it won't start without starting fluid and why its getting hot.

when I do a rebuild I put a fan on the motor during the idle cycles and run about a 28:1-30:1 premix. untill you get the piston heat treated and the rings broke in it will get a little hotter due to all the friction. did you check the piston to sidewall clearance before you put it in. you could try to run the 12:1 as suggested above. but I doubt that it would even idle without fouling the plug. and it may even prolong the breakin cycle. because it would be harder for the parts to seat with less friction

Reactions: Kmore
Run it at the same pre-mix ratio you plan to use after breakin is done. Rich mix won't allow the rings to seat properly and is just a waste. I recommend 32:1 on all of my air-cooled builds.

You need to have a leak down test done to ensure that you don't have an air leak, which is likely what caused the need for the rebuild in the first place. More than likely it's sucking air through one of the crank seals or where the case halve are married. The crankcase should hold 6psi for 6min. If that's not the case then you may have a plugged pilot jet causing a lean condition in the bottom end or impropper jetting. What is your air screw set at?

Hey thx for the advice :). I have not been on for awhile and I have taken care of the issue.. although I cant remember what I did to fix it (i guess its been awhile and long day at work). But as a note I took bike out last two weekends and it was rode all time on both weekends and ran good, however it is a little on the slow side compared to other two blasters I got.. might be due to it having its stock air box on still.. So I going to check on that and I guess rejet it if it needs it and see if that gets it more power.

I did keep it at same ratio as my other premixed bikes. And I used a fan to not only cool the bike but myself while tinkering on bike hehe :) Oh, and now i remember what was problem with getting it to start :)... I had cleaned out the carb and drained the fuel out of tank (had sat for awhile before I got bike. I had forgot while excited to get bike running to put a fuel filter on bike and it had got junk from bottom of tank into carb. I had to put on filter and clean carb again and it has started up good and ran since. I also had before start up took off the oil injector that was on bike and did dyi block off to bike.. which working well, but I think I sprung a leak from riding on case where two holes were blocked off with silicone and bolts.. so when i fix the kickstarter and drain fluid I i will probably address that issue as well :). I believe the original owner had the bike seize with the oil injector failed and caused the piston to seize.

Again thx for the help :)

Hi i was riding my blaster on first gear too fast and for long time and suddenly stopped to work I tried to make it work but i couldn't a I'm beginning on this
Somebody can help me what to do or how to fix it

Should make a new thread but can you check compressions or make sure you didnt blow or up lol, may be hydrolocked or have overheated as well?

Hi i was riding my blaster on first gear too fast and for long time and suddenly stopped to work I tried to make it work but i couldn't a I'm beginning on this
Somebody can help me what to do or how to fix it

Need
more information. How much mechanical ability do you have ? Tools ? How long have you had it ?
Why didn't you shift to higher gear ??

Reactions: 01blasterbren