Engine issue check pics, need help..?

kbbrown123

Mar 17, 2009
Henry County GA
Alright, so a friend of mine had this engine, he said it ran when his friend took it off, its obviously been sittin for a minute lol. In my welcom thread i was told to take off the head and chekc it out look through the exhaust and check it out...not sure what i was lookin for but dont think its to good..:( Heres some pics if anyone can give me suggestions im all ears(eyes?) im not sure what can be repaired, fixed easy, im still learning.. but the moisture dont look good in there.=))I:I

DSCF3505.jpg
[/IMG]

DSCF3507.jpg
[/IMG]

DSCF3503.jpg
[/IMG]

DSCF3501.jpg
[/IMG]

Its not humid, i live in georgia its either hot as hell or cold as f*ck!! lol. But im not sure wehre he may have had it stored or for how long, it mighta been humid in there. Inside the cylinder are some slight rust spots as ell you cant really tell form the photos.. Any thoughts, suggestions, anything would be great!

hmm, well i think i would rip that cylinder off, clean it up really good, get it bored out to the next appropriate size, pick up a piston and rings kit, with all gaskets.
then she should be running, i wonder what the bottom end looks like thou?

you got a good paperweight, lol, my question is the piston seized in there? in all seriousness, get it bored to what cleans it up, get you a kit with all the goods, gaskets, piston, wrist pins etc, it wil run you about 130 bux off of ebay, thats for weisco forged.

Yep your looking at a $150 to $200 job. Take the jug off and send it to the machine shop to be bored and honed that should cost about $50. Then all you have to do is get a piston rebuild kit and that will put you back around $100 it just depends on what kit you buy.

Just from looking at the motor I really wonder what the rest of the bike is like? Was it all stored in the same place?? If so you have alot of stuff that needs replacing like bearings, seals, gaskets, and much more...

ok, the reason it dosnt run started with it was ran lean, i can tell to the melted metal balls on top of the piston, so it sat in a wet place and got some rust inside, like everone said take the piston out and look up the numbers, get the next size overbore and have it bored/honed and new gaskets, that should fix you up

whoa whoa! i think that an overbore is premature right now.
first things first, pull the cylinder and piston and get a 5 gallon bucket full of some parts cleaner (barsol, simple green, purple power, etc) and let it, the piston and the head soak in there for a couple days.
then either pressure wash or rinse in a bucket of water w/ a wire brush. this will let you know what kinda condition the jug and head are in.
you might just need to clean the parts off, they might be just fine under the carbon. pistons tend to get coked up when run rich (not lean).
def take a look into the bottom end and check the free play of the connecting rod once you get the jug off. also if your exhaust port is that coked, the pipe prob is too. maybe run the pressure washer through there too.
or just send the whole package to a builder for port and polish and head redesign.....
def replace ALL gaskets and seals too. just get the full kit.

Thanks to all for your quick response... After posting those pics i wne tahead and took the entire head off... Not good.. Took a couple pics, so go ahead and give it to me. I know it would be a task to rebuild the whole thing but im hopin with time money and alot of frustration i can get this biotch runnin..one day. I know how to work a wrench lol, but as far as engine rebuild/repair, never ahd the pleaseure.. So im gonna be needin help from all you aces out there. Im not really sure how to go about checkin the bottom end but i know the piston is shot.. The pieces that are missing form the piston have to be in there somewhere. Tell me what to do, where to start, what to buy... thanks to all in advance. Heres the pics..

DSCF3509.jpg
[/IMG]

DSCF3519.jpg
[/IMG]

whoa that things garbage, well if the motor is out of the bike, drain the tranny fluid and flip it upside down and spray a air hose in there.
shake it around try to get all the peices outta there, if you can and the crank is still good. its a walk in the park from here.
check the connecting rod for play.
does the crank spin?
i cant tell what size that piston is but maybe someone else can.

So i know the piston is trash. The crank turns over real smooth so im not sure if it needs to be replaced. I have yet to split the case kinda weary but from waht i can tell there is water in with the oil. If the crank turns smooth still will that need to be replaced or think just a piston kit with connecting rod will be good also good idea to slightly bore the head or what should be done to remove the rust spots. I was told of the tools needed to split the case and all. The case splitter and the crank puller are both 60$ for sumt i will use one time, is there anywhere that has em' cheaper or sumt else i could use idk. Throw your ideas to me, within a week or so i will be able to devote more time to the blasty and get the biotch goin soon!!! its awesome to be able to count on the ppl here thanks guysI:II:I

damn that looks nasty. looks like he sunk it or something, thats brutal dude. id suggest taking that into your local shop and getting them to clean it up.

did u take the clutch cover off? check that. im thinkin he sunk it and left it. looks bad.

i edited this after i saw the crank. man with all that water + the debris from the mangled piston, your best bet for reliabilty would be to rebuild or replace the crank.