Diesel Engine Mechanics?

2g00d4u

Apr 22, 2010
Smithville, ON, Canada
Need an experienced diesel mechanic to give me a detailed answer to this:

In a tractor or truck pull where they have huge plumes of black smoke coming out of the diesel engines, is that really getting the most horsepower out of the engine? or is it just for looks (I think it looks stupid personally)? I was told before that a diesel engine putting out maximum possible horsepower burns clear, and all that unburnt fuel coming out makes the engine lose power.

please shut my friends up.

this should answer your questions
Diesel engines SHOULDN'T EVER produce black smoke.

That being said, they all do; just to a different degree. Black smoke is the result of the A/F ratio being fuel heavy, luckily, a diesel can run at just about any A/F ratio (I've heard as high as 50:1).

The issue usually comes down to turbochargers not spooling quickly enough, as the engine dumps enough fuel into the engine for a certain amount of boost, even though that boost may not arrive for a second or two.

In the case of an engine producing constant black smoke, well that's the result of someone not knowing how to tune the engine. (I know, drag trucks pour constant black smoke, but that's a different story.) These diesel pick-up trucks you see running around on the street are just idiots who think Smoke = Power, when in reality, Smoke = Untapped Power.

all black smoke is is unburnt diesel, which said above, alot of people put smoke switches on their diesels to make it look like its got power, but in real life there just to cheap to mod it :D

but all in all, i dont think you loose any power, just loosin bucks out of your wallet cause of the fuel not getting used haha, i love me some diesel smoke

Pullers do that because they are boosted to an inch of their lives. Most are compound boosted with 2 or more turbos @ 80+ psi.
I've never seen a good running one not make a ton of black smoke. Anytime you see one run really well without black smoke only means it's running alcohol.
There is a lil tractor around here that runs alcohol + 4 turbos. I call it little because local rules don't allow a 4 turbo alcohol motor puller to be that big in motor displacement compared to a diesel fuel puller.

This one is a 2 turbo compound set-up on diesel making 200 pounds of boost, yes I said 200psi.

PA110001.jpg

wheres chutzell?? i belive he is a diesel mechanic by trade

I'm pretty sure Colby's a driveshaft welder by trade but he may have some specific insight into this matter.

I can give you the skinny however....

Diesel engines don't have a throttle butterfly (slide in blaster terms) and gulp in as much air as possible. Turbochargers help this by ramming air down through the intake valve as quickly as possible. Turning the boost higher and higher increases the ramming effect (until something lets loose)

Everyone who said that black smoke on the street is a waste is absolutely correct, diesel street engines should never roll black smoke out of the tail pipe and doing so increases power by 5% while increasing fuel consumption by 30%.... no brainer bad move for anyone who would ACTUALLY think about it instead of throwing a "tuner box" on their diesel truck and setting it to "smoke out".... but most diesel truck drivers *think* that gives them lots more power (and most aren't smart enough to figure out that 5% < 30%, pretty sad huh?)

The reason why pulling trucks and tractor roll out black smoke is because once they've boosted the engine to just below the physical limits of the induction system blowing apart, they want to use up every single atom of oxygen inside that cylinder to produce power. Think about it, once the valves close, there's a certain amount of trapped oxygen available for combustion. The more of that you can actually get to combust, the more powerful the explosion is.

The reason they need SOOOOO much black smoke is because of the RPM they're turning. The timing event takes place only during the split second the piston is at the very top of it's stroke. A fuel injector (or three, whatever) sprays fuel down into the hot air and the resulting explosion forces the psiton down. In order to get to every single atom of oxygen they have to "flood" the cylinder with enough fuel to get some all the way down to the edges. Normal street diesels run out of steam at anywhere between 2,000 rpm (13 liter+ class 8 trucks) and 4,000 rpm (your typical F250 6L) but pulling vehicles are tuned to run WAYYYY higher than that so the timing event has even lass time to happen than a normal diesel (one reason why rolling black smoke out of a street truck is truly a waste) engine.

Civic hit it on the head.Black smoke is unburnt fuel but its not necessarily costing them power,Take for example top fuelers they pump a lot of fuel right out the exhuast but it produces more power even tho the fuel is unburnt but it works,cost is no concern because they are trying to squeeze every last drop of power they can.

Civic hit it on the head.Black smoke is unburnt fuel but its not necessarily costing them power,Take for example top fuelers they pump a lot of fuel right out the exhuast but it produces more power even tho the fuel is unburnt but it works,cost is no concern because they are trying to squeeze every last drop of power they can.

Wait, about which part? Driveshaft welder or diesel engines? I:I

Their just dumping a rediculous amount of fuel to make up for the insane boost their running. A street truck only running 30-40 psi doesnt need all that much fuel and will smoke when dumped like that. Pullers and drag racers need all that fuel to make up for the boost. However, I on newer diesels, more power can be acheived through tuning the electronics. I have seen some newer diesels(cummins) that have spent 1-2k on their tuning and they only make a dark grey smoke that is semi-transparent. This would be tuned very well and having a well balanced air to fuel ratio.