Dies after reach about 170 degrees

nick20555

Living life 2 strokes at a time
Jun 23, 2014
Just outside Evansville, IN
Some of you may have seen the rebuild I'm doing to my spare parts blaster. I got it put together enough to start it just now and I went to do the heat cycles on it. All was going well. It was a little blubbery off idle but good enough for heat cycles.

Now here's the problem. It just out of nowhere completely dies after the head reaches about 170 degrees. I've seen KORs video about reaching about 200 and letting it cool but this thing just completely dies after about 170. No warning, no slowly running worse and worse. Just straight up dies.

Any ideas?

Also while I'm at it, I thought tors deletes on 88-02 was just simply unplugging it. I have it unplugged at the carb but if I unplug it at the throttle, it doesn't spark. Do I have to keep the throttle part plugged in?

And I also don't have a key for it so I need to bypass that part of the wiring. How do I do that? Do I splice the wires that run to the key switch?

Disconnect one wire off the key switch and it is bypassed. If I remember correctly you jump out the tors plug at the carb location. Take a wire,make a small loop between the two connectors on the plug and go.

K eep
I T
S imple
S tupid

Unplug "brain box" , 3 wire plug, done.
If you understand electrical, you can also clean the wires out of the harness.

No jumper wires needed!!!! !!

Well I think it dying after warming up was just a coincidence because it seems fine now.

As for the TORS, I completely forgot about the "brain box". Went to unplug it at the carb and throttle switch but never touched the box. Guess that's my problem.

Now back to the key switch. I have the handlebar switch plugged in but don't have the key switch at all so I can't just unplug one end like dualstroke suggested because I don't have one to leave plugged in. Do I splice the wires? As it sits right now, the handlebar switch is not turning it off so I am turning it off by pressing on the TORS switch I took out of the throttle. I figured the handlebar switch isn't shutting it off because the key switch is missing. So what do I need to do with the key switch wires to get my handlebar switch to work?