Did I put my crank case seal in wrong?

sbeachstang

Jan 11, 2011
Rochester ny
Hi Guys, My latest blaster I picked up is an 04, bought it already pulled apart with a bad inner clutch housing. I got it together (no crank case oil) and it ran descent. I put type f in and it started smoking really bad. Dropped the case oil and no smoke again. I then put a right side crank seal in it, start it with fluid and it smoked again, dumped the fluid and no smoke. I just made a leak down tester and I'm getting air leaking from the clutch cover, couldn't find any other leaks. I then tore the clutch cover/basket and crank gear off sprayed them with soapy water and don't really see anything noticeable almost felt like there was air leaking around the clutch and tranny shafts. Either my guage isn't working or its leaking faster than it can read. So I'm wondering if I didn't tap the seal in far enough, or too far, or ????. Wonder what to try next, any advice would be appreciated, I just want to ride this thingI:I

if its coming out around any other shaft than the crank/seal, you either have the case halves leaking internally, or a crack in the somewhere
but it would also be leaking air out of the tranny vent then too, stick the tranny vent hose end into a cup of soapy water and see if it bubbles and report back

mt friends did the exact same awk knows what hes talking about it could be a leak in the case halfs but could also be a crack around the crankshaft due to a shattered piston or something

Got back to work on it tonight. I had no air coming from the vent tube, so I soaped up the clutch shaft , nothing there either, pulled the gear off the balancer...there's air blowing threw the bearing on the balancer like no tomorrow. I'm guessing the cases wil have to be split, or am I doing something with the test wrong? Glad to be closer to narrowing it down.

Just looking for some feed back on this. Would replacing the bearing fix this? I'm assuming this is abnormal, or I'm performing the test wrong.

Hey guys, is it possible that @sbeachstang could get some feedback on this problem? I am looking at buying this blaster and he wants to get this problem fixed.

Sorry, didn't see this thread before.

If you have air coming out from behind the balancer bearing, you will have to split the cases. Something has been ingested (or part of the piston) and beat the cases. There is a thin spot between the crankcase and balancer shaft area and if the crank catches anything stuck in there, it'll break the aluminum out. Obviously with enough care cases can be repaired.

http://www.blasterforum.com/do-yourself-20/case-repair-37072/

The brazing rod works best for cracks and small holes. Because of different colling rates, anything larger than a dime will have to be welded, Mig aluminum or Tig welding being the obvious choices.

Reactions: Prime
Thanks for the reply! I ended up picking up a parts blaster just in this case. Now I know what to look for(damaged case). Did a compression test (130 psi) so I'm hoping there's no damage to the top end, but I'll get it tore down look for damage. Next, time I buy something not running I'm gonna have to buy it REALLY right i guess. Thank you again!

Found the problem in @sbeachstang's motor today. Civic, you were right. It is a broken case. Here's a few pics...

The chunks were laying underneath the shift drum when I split the cases.