Custom grab bar :)

Drifz1

May 24, 2010
mayo,ireland
hey i just finished my 2nd grab bar cause the 1st one broke (which saved me many of times coz i got no foot brake lool ) well the grab bar is the second ting iv fabbed for the blaster coz i made sum skid plates I:I and i just turned 14 and im completly SH!T at this type of thing !!!! heres some pics :p

this is the old 1 as u can see the welds were crap anyway ! does anyone kno any good online tutorials ? thanks

3435-old.jpg

this is the new one still not great need better materials and welding skills :(

3436-new.jpg

3437-27062010139.jpg

The second one looks much better. I see it bending though because those supports going to the frame are pretty thin. What type of welder are you using? I assume mig?

The second one looks much better. I see it bending though because those supports going to the frame are pretty thin. What type of welder are you using? I assume mig?

no i tested it i put aload of weight on it and lifted it up and did a wheelie and caught it of the ground on purpose and trust me this thing works :p stick / rod welder!

If you want better looking welds you need to get the voltage dialed in. That would be much easier if you have some scrap metal of the exact stuff you are welding.

on a stick you adjust the amperage, not the voltage, that is a mig. You really need to get the amperage to the thinkness of metal that you are welding, lower for thinner stuff, higher for thicker. Generally the higher the amperage the more heat you are putting to the metal. Also what kind of rods are you welding with, and what polarity. 6011 6010 are a pretty common rod, very for for deep penetration. running them in dc+. Also I would have gotton something heavier than that strap iron. It may hold up good now, but if you hit it at an angle or get some riding on it it will bend pretty easy, specially side to side, but it is a very good start.

Practice make perfect. Get some scrap and go at it . Two things, clean the rust off best as possible , and DO NOT weld galvanized metal. Gives off HIGHLY toxic fumes. At your age, I'd take metal shop, industrial arts , or whatever they call it at your school. FWIW , I had 5yrs of metal shop in H.S. , ended up being a carpenter, LOL.

Practice make perfect. Get some scrap and go at it . Two things, clean the rust off best as possible , and DO NOT weld galvanized metal. Gives off HIGHLY toxic fumes. At your age, I'd take metal shop, industrial arts , or whatever they call it at your school. FWIW , I had 5yrs of metal shop in H.S. , ended up being a carpenter, LOL.
i do wood shop ,metal shop and technology lol