Custom 1974 Honda CB450 Cafe Racer

Jradd127

Oct 6, 2013
NJ
1999 Yamaha Blaster ---> 1986 Suzuki LT250R ----> 1974 Honda CB450

Quite a jump, aye? I picked up a 1974 Honda CB450 from someone on CL for $150. He had purchased the bike originally as a parts bike & now I have it. $150! I brought it home and my neighbor immediately offered me $350 for it...HA! He was jealous, the 88 Pontiac Fiero just wasn't enough for him. So back on topic, I'm building a custom powder coating oven (66"x36"x36") with 66" being my length. This oven will be used for anything & everything that will fit in it. My uncle is coming over next week to help me wire everything but I think I'll have the physical oven built this weekend with the help of Youtube & Google.

The beauty of having this oven I can paint whatever I want, however I want, as much as I want...and for a pretty cheap price (after establishing a setup). I'm building this bike into a classic cafe racer that I really just want to cruise on. I've never been a motorcycle guy but it seemed like a great build (priced out to $1000 not including paint) and I had to take it. I was originally thinking white frame, white tank with dual red racing stripes & red rims. Black exahust, black forks (not sure about the chrome tubes) and black spokes...probably black hubs.

I'm conflicted with the "My build, my way" thought of process and the "classicness" of just black & chrome. What do you guys think? I want the "My build, my way" thought but I don't want to regret my paint job. The options I have in my head are that (And I forgot to include, no matter what the engine is going black) and a straight up murdered out bike. Just straight black.

Any tips from an experienced bike builder?

Attachments

• 0223041213.jpg
    0223041213.jpg
    799.2 KB · Views: 2,960
I was originally thinking white frame, white tank with dual red racing stripes & red rims. Black exahust, black forks (not sure about the chrome tubes) and black spokes...probably black hubs.

anyone can do the all black, murda'd look
i like the white/red idea, it's classic cafe racer

I won't be thinking about lowering it until I ride it, I'm 6'2" 140lbs...height isn't a concern, it's a bit heavy for me but oh well. I may have found an engine that freely turns for $100, I'll know by the end of the day if it is the right one!

Murdered look, meeeh, alright if done properly. But a classic like that needs to be flashy. The CB450 was very popular so it shouldn't be too hard finding parts. might want to check out "Dirt Tracker" , they make body kits in flat track/cafe style for XS650 Yammi, don't know about CB. Look for "Omar's", I can't copy/paste for some reason.

Also search "Black Bomber" as that's what they were refered to back in the day, maybe cause they were only available in black? I forget. Google shows 64-68 were black with "bomber" tank. 68^ had varius colors.