couple issues

Nov 7, 2008
Ok so i put the gas in, and it will start to run, but it wont stay running.

I also am having a gas leak at the reserve/on/off valve.

it does not appear to be leaking around the gastank part, is there another gasket in that part that i should look at?

It leaks with the valve off as well.

it feels like its not geting enough gas, so im wondering if the leak there could cause it to not get enough gas to stay on. Im running 55/155 jets.

Did you run her completely out of fuel ?? That's bad !
If you still got compression , try it just on reserve
And tighten the phillips screws on the on off valve

running it out of fuel once isnt gonna destroy compression or else they wouldnt have reserve that is made to shut off ur quad wen ur gettin low on fuel

Oh , I thinking he run er low on gas and got a lot of dirt on his petcock filter is all
But you right once isn't bad , but you never know if he has had problems with it before

oh yeah. it isn't as bad on a gravity fed tank but that might have happened. i think that is more of an issue if you run out something that is pump fed but it still could have happened.
did you pull the petcock out brian?

i cleaned the petcock filters out, adn gas is geting though them adn leaking out the front of it, and also is leaking out the hole to the line when i hole it up right with it in the off position.

I tryed tearing it apart adn cleaning all the seals. its better, but still leaking, and bike still wont idle.

Ill pull the plug in a min. and see what it looks like.

I'm not that good with jetting ,, I got really lucky and had a freind that runs motocross do mine ... And it's all together different than what others on b/f are using
You may want to ask the pros on that one
Could be bad plug though
Or pilot jet is clogged

anyways i decieded to just buy a new petcock on ebay. that should remidy the petcock problem.

no to find out why it wont run....

Ok, Brian, let's try to get this figured out. You mentioned an inline fuel filter... NO, it does not have to be level to work, but that might actually be contributing to your problem. Yamaha puts a filter screen into the fuel petcock assembly from the factory (as I'm sure you've seen), and this is all you need to trap debris in the fuel. Installing an additional inline fuel filter can cause a restriction in the fuel line great enough to stop sufficient fuel from reaching the carburetor.

Get rid of that inline filter. A new petcock will stop the leak; if the gasket between the tank and petcock is NOT damaged and you still have a leak, the packing in the fuel petcock valve is bad and you have to do what you did and replace the whole thing. Been there...

With a straight fuel line to the engine, turn the fuel "on" and open the bowl drain screw on the carburetor. Gas should come pouring out; this is a quick test to see if the float has dropped and is allowing fuel to come into the float bowl. If you get a steady stream of gas out of the bowl drain line, enough gas is making it to the carb for the engine to run. No gas? Take the bowl off the carb and have a look.

Also, check your reeds and the associated gaskets. Damage anywhere in here will prevent the engine from running well. Or at all.

Oh, and your jetting in the carb is fine. Don't change it in an attempt to solve your problem; the engine will run like you already have it. It is rich, if anything. I run a 148 main and 50 pilot with similar mods, and am still a tad rich.

yea, i figured geting a new petcock for 30 was better than paying 20 shiped for some gaskets and bolts.

anyways, here is the some pics of the plug

white in middle pic is glare from light

it was wet.

400.jpg

397.jpg

394.jpg

my guess is your pilot is really lean if it is then you should be able keep it running by hold the thottle in alittle or alot