compression tester into leak down testertester

lightblast

Jan 26, 2015
I got this compression tester from Napa and turned it into a leak tester for about 30 buck All from home depot.
20150127_205134.jpg
20150127_210154.jpg
20150127_210838.jpg

do you plan to screw an adapter to that for pressurizing thru the intake ?
the intake/reed cage are the most common offenders for leaks, but pressurizing thru the spark plug does not test that, IF the reeds even close tight enuf to seal against the back pressure ?
bottom line is ....pressurizing thru the intake is the best method, not the spark plug.

Also.....i'm not so certain how that pressure relief valve/button will work inline below the gauges ?
isn't that for holding highest pressure to the gauge during a compression test ? how will that allow leak off if you have a leak ?

Last edited:
Pressurising at the plug hole will test everything but the carby boot, which is a major culprit for leaks, the reeds should stop the pressure getting to it.

The reed block and spacer plate (if you have one on the cylinder side of the reeds) will be pressurised.

It is best to pressurise at the carby inlet, for obvious reasons.

do you plan to screw an adapter to that for pressurizing thru the intake ?
the intake/reed cage are the most common offenders for leaks, but pressurizing thru the spark plug does not test that, IF the reeds even close tight enuf to seal against the back pressure ?
bottom line is ....pressurizing thru the intake is the best method, not the spark plug.

Also.....i'm not so certain how that pressure relief valve/button will work inline below the gauges ?
isn't that for holding highest pressure to the gauge during a compression test ? how will that allow leak off if you have a leak ?
Thanks for noticing that, yeah I'll have to do some more modifying forsure, I'm just gunna get a new hose and make an adapter to go threw the intake, I'm glad I put this on here you guys have been a big help I'm pretty new to stuff like this but learning alot:)

I'm gu
Pressurising at the plug hole will test everything but the carby boot, which is a major culprit for leaks, the reeds should stop the pressure getting to it.

The reed block and spacer plate (if you have one on the cylinder side of the reeds) will be pressurised.

It is best to pressurise at the carby inlet, for obvious reasons.
I'm going to do some work to it, thanks for the help, I'll post a pic of the finished product when I'm done. So glad I posted this before I used it haha:)