Compression and altitude... Whats on your gage & whats your altitude? SOUND OFF!

joeak47

Apr 21, 2012
Northern NEVADA!
I thought this would be fun...

With my squish band hemi head that is cut to the liquid cooled DT200 specs and step cut for the copper head gasket,and my "Aggresive Desert" port job, I have 132 PSI at 4,500 feet,so the "sea level" reading will be 150 PSI.

Ive had lots of people ask me if the compression is low on they're atv,bike,etc. For example (genuine)..."Is my stock blaster's 115 psi compression low to you?. The book says that it should be more than that."

I say ..."no" ..."compensate for the altitude", then show them how.

A very simple method is to add 3.4% for every 1000ft in elevation to your compression reading.

This way,folks at higher altitudes don't freek out thinking that they need a top end rebuild. I've known people that have done this... Wasted money for no reason,because they unknowingly "thought" they're compression was low,or some know-it-all jackass told them it needed rebuilt ,because he (the jackass) says it was too low. X(

Here's another way to do it... I pulled this off the web...

When at altitude,and you want to find out what the "sea level" reading would be (used in every engine manual known to man on planet earth) just divide the number in the chart instead of multiplying it.

Please tell us what you have for PSI and altitude where your at.

Anyway here it is...a good short read,and handy to know.
Altitude and temperature also affect the compression readings. Manufacturer’s specifications are almost always given at a specific altitude (14.7 psi at sea level), and 59° Fahrenheit. Both temperature and barometric pressure change as you go up in altitude, so you will need to correct your measurements if you wish to compare it with a factory specification. The following chart provides conversion factors for correctly compensating for changes in altitude:

Compression Test Altitude Compensation Factors
Altitude Factor
500 0.987
1500 0.960
2500 0.933
3500 0.907
4500 0.880
5500 0.853
6500 0.826
7500 0.800
8500 0.773

A standard compression reading of about 150 psi at sea level in Los Angeles would measure significantly less in the surrounding mountains. For example, at an elevation of 6000 feet, the expected reading would be 150 psi X .8359 = 125 psi. The cylinders would be reading low if compared to sea level measurements, yet perfectly fine at this altitude.

Reactions: Quadrider10
Good write up Joe!

I is good to be able to brag about my sea level compression, to my buddies that live in the hills.

I may not be able to beat them on the trails, but I can baffle them with my readings.

i'll get one tomorrow,
but can tell you that ken oconnor said he tested my motor before he sent it to me, he pulled the head back off as it was a little high, re-adjusted the head to get me right at 162 psi.
thats at his 210' elevation (i just googled it)
when i tested it upon arrival, what did i find
at my 1500'+ elevation ???........162 psi, dead nuts ???
hmmm

So I must be the only one that does compression tests? hmmm.

Sheesh Joe, it's summer in Canada, summer in Canada!
It is 12 weeks to get a year's worth of stuff done.
If it wasn't for the odd sit down with a coffee or cold beer I wouldn't even be here. :)

As a kid I used to live in northern Quebec, where summers were even shorter.
We used to play: Hockey, hockey, hockey, hockey, road hockey, baseball, road hockey, hockey, hockey, hockey, hockey, hockey...