Clutch wont Engage

luvs2jeep

Jan 5, 2011
Mason, WV
Hello all Well had a bad day on the ole blaster. We was riding I blew out my brakes yay! and ran out of gas...... A buddy was pulling me home I was using the clutch to slow me down I know not good. Well all of a sudden the clutch went out wont engage I can shift gears with the motor off and it will start and idle fine. I took the clutch cover off the clutch arm going into the crank case is moving freely and I can just see a slight movement in the basket. Before I go any deeper in what should I try?

Hello all Well had a bad day on the ole blaster. We was riding I blew out my brakes yay! and ran out of gas...... A buddy was pulling me home I was using the clutch to slow me down I know not good. Well all of a sudden the clutch went out wont engage I can shift gears with the motor off and it will start and idle fine. I took the clutch cover off the clutch arm going into the crank case is moving freely and I can just see a slight movement in the basket. Before I go any deeper in what should I try?

sounds like you welded the ball to the internal rod, caused by holding the clutch on too long at high speed.
pull the 5 screws and srpings to remove the pressure plate, the ball bearing should be stuck to that side rod.
if so, you'll need a new rod and ball bearing.

Ok got the push rode, ball, and pressure plate off my parts motor. I got the pressure plate off my good running motor but no go on extracting the push rod also fount that the washer for the pressure plate on my motor is not there I had a shop do my last clutch job....

Attachments

• IMG_0365.JPG
    IMG_0365.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 837
  • IMG_0366.JPG
    IMG_0366.JPG
    929.9 KB · Views: 715
I don't know how handy you are or the condition of yuor clutch basket but there is a nice lil mod you can do while you have it off. Get them plates some xtra oil like they like.. Ill find you the link/vid tmrw .. all you need is a steady hand, drill bits, and something to measure and possibly scribe.. Real easy nice mod since you are in there any ways..

Yes, you should be able to tilt enginean tap side an it falls out, but rreading your issue, it likely mushroom the ball an welded it to the rod.

I've used a strong magnet taped to a straight piece of coat hanger, and also the shop vac with a smaller hose taped on to suck it out.
worth trying before splitting the cases :(

I got the push rod to come out I can see damage. there is a dark spot where the rod rides. Now the rod and ball that rides in the center of the basket will not come out it wiggles back and forth and spins freely. I tried to grab a pair of pliers and pull it out no go and take air and blow in from the push rod side nothing has helped.

If the adjustment on the clutch actuating arm gets out of adjustment, the shaft will begin the wear, and mushroom, against the actuator. The mushroomed shaft will not fall out of the center of the driven shaft because of the burr. The only way to extract the shaft once this happens, is to split the cases and push it out from the right side. Take a good look at the actuator and check for wear. It will look like a chip is missing where it contacts the shaft. If this is the case, both parts will need to be replaced.

now that you have the actuator out, see if you can use the right side rod to push that stuck left side rod in far enuf that it protrudes into the actuator area, then look in with a flashlight to see what the end looks like and what you're dealing with.