Clutch problem?

Taz100420

Jan 9, 2012
Fremont, Oh
Ok ever since I put this engine together, I have been having a clutch issue in which I HOPE its a clutch lol. But I didnt stack the steel plates right b/c of the nubs and I restacked them right as per the video. I resealed it all back up and filled it with the yamalube I have and it goes in gear but when I let the clutch out, I can feel it pulling as if it wants to move but its not moving, give it more gas, no move. I lift the ass end up and let the clutch out, the tires move and revs up like normal to switch gears. The plates looked good and I soaked them. I just hope nothing is up in the trans as I do not wanna tear it back down and mess around inside lol

yea I got the dots lined up and when I pull the clutch and drop it into gear then release the clutch, I can feel it grab some and over like 2 secs w/o me gassing it, it will putter and die. Before I had all the steel nubs pointed up and it chattered, moved me some then died. I restacked them like the vid shows and now it wont move me at all, I can feel it tho lol I was thinkin maybe new plates would do the trick but if Im doin something wrong, new plates wont cut it

Well, I was talking to a few other ppl today at work and they all told me the SAME exact thing.... They tell me I adjusted the clutch TOO far lol. I adjusted so much that the pressure plate is probably like a few thousandths of an inch off of the clutch plate. Hence the reason why I feel the want to go but doesn't. Also why it takes a sec to die..... So 2morrow I will back the rod out a few turns and see where it takes me!

So 2morrow I will back the rod out a few turns and see where it takes me!

loosen or unhook cable, so it doesn't effect the internal adjustment, get the little pointer on the actuator arm alinged with the cooresponding tab on the cases (pics on here somewhere, or in the manual, <available in the general support section here)
loosen nut, back rod out, turn it in very slow and gently until you feel it touch the other rod/ball, then back it off 1/2 turn, tighten nut

i like to spray the threads/nut with brake clean, allow to dry and apply a drop of blue loc-tite right before doing the adjustment.
that nut backing off can be catastrophic bouncing around in there

loosen or unhook cable, so it doesn't effect the internal adjustment, get the little pointer on the actuator arm alinged with the cooresponding tab on the cases (pics on here somewhere, or in the manual, <available in the general support section here)
loosen nut, back rod out, turn it in very slow and gently until you feel it touch the other rod/ball, then back it off 1/2 turn, tighten nut

i like to spray the threads/nut with brake clean, allow to dry and apply a drop of blue loc-tite right before doing the adjustment.
that nut backing off can be catastrophic bouncing around in there

Tyvm! I didnt "feel" for the rod to touch the ball, pry where I messed up and kept goin till it was harder to move....:-[ I'd give ya some rep but I cant until I spread some love around first lol. All I have is red loctite and do not plan on using it. I had some spill on my workbench and a bolt is STILL "glued" to the top of the bench lol.

i think you giving up to quickly. you just frustrated right now. we have all been there.

get some pictures up of the clutch and ect. it might better help us help you..

a clutch lever, should feel the release about 1/2 way thru releasing the clutch lever. and a full release just before you let the lever go.

Make sure your sheer key is on right ! and you have the nut torqed to the right specs.

are all the washers on it ? the thick one and the small one ?

is the pressure spring that goes on, there ? thats a thin wavy like washer, that goes in the 2nd or 3rd fiber. If you were putting them on, it would be the 2nd or 3rd figer you placed onto the clutch.

Did you try and adjust from the smaller inner screw ? on the clutch ? tight it in, and loose is out.

Sporty

at 3 minutes in is the rod adjustmnent, showing the actuator alignment

Last edited by a moderator:
The adjustment is now right. Clutch is in correct. Everythings tight. Still will NOT move. No, I am not giving up quickly, I been trying to get it moving for about 2 months now with 0 success and a whole tube of Yamabond just about gone. Everything has been by the manual.

the ballbearing is between the two rods ?

you call me, ill try and talk w u about it/pm me if interested and ill reply back w my #

Everything that is supposed to go into the clutch is there. It just dies when I let the clutch out. I've had the cover off many many times and tried to mess with it and get nothing. I've run out of patience, time and money on it....

well many people here looking for parts. i dont know what you all got into it, but many people buy parts here or the whole thing, depending on what you all got into.

Maybe its not a clutch problem ?

well many people here looking for parts. i dont know what you all got into it, but many people buy parts here or the whole thing, depending on what you all got into.

Maybe its not a clutch problem ?

Maybe not but what I really want to do is trade the whole motor off plus some cash and get a running motor than stick another few hundred in this one and it still not move.... Im to the point that I wanna stick a rag in the gas tank and light it on fire....

Dont mean to dig up an old thread but I've decided (after almost 2 months :p) to tear my top end off and trade+cash my bottom end or just buy a good running bottom end so I can run for the winter time since I couldn't for summer lol. So......anyone have a extra bottom end sitting around? I dont really need any covers, stator/flywheel or clutch basket. just slap my top end on, etc and go.

Everything that is supposed to go into the clutch is there. It just dies when I let the clutch out. I've had the cover off many many times and tried to mess with it and get nothing. I've run out of patience, time and money on it....

You have mentioned this numerous times, could the problem be motor related.

When was the last time a leak down test was performed.?

How old is the gas?

How clean is the carby?

You have mentioned this numerous times, could the problem be motor related.

When was the last time a leak down test was performed.?

How old is the gas?

How clean is the carby?

Just after I quit workin on it, I asked one of my friends to borrow his leak down tester but never came around. Before I tear down, Ill build one. Engine was only started 8 times for warmup cycles and then discovered dying issue. No leak down was performed on this engine (yet) and has not been cranked since.

Gas was brand new. Premix, 32:1

Tore carb completely down and soaked it in carb cleaner for over 2 hours. Stock jetting with stock exhaust and no air box mods.

I am in the process of moving to my new apartment in town and wont have time to work on this as much unless I take it with me.....