Clutch HELP!?

Calebd22

Jun 6, 2016
I have a 2001 blaster I just got 3 days ago . They have been riding it with out the clutch and going through the gears etc for about a month they told me . There is a clutch cable and it's hooked up. Everything engages even the lever that's on the engine it moves . But the clutch never engages it doesn't work at all. And I have no idea how to fix this . Do I need new gears becuase they rode without a clutch , and do I need a new clutch basket or what?

Firstly, how do they start moving with no clutch? Push the bike a rolling start and drop in gear?

You'll likely have to take the clutch apart and see how the basket and plates are. Here is how the clutch works:

You pull the handlebar lever which pulls the cable. When the cable is pulled, it turns the mechanism on the engine which pushes a rod that goes through the engine into a ball bearing. This ball pushes on another rod which disengages the pressure plate from the clutch pack (series of friction discs and metal plates). It is this clutch pack (which sits in the clutch basket) that transfers the power from the engine to the transmission and drive sprocket.

When the clutch is engaged, the pressure plate is pushing against the clutch pack due to the clutch springs. When the cable is pulled in, the pressure plate is pushed away (through the series of mechanisms and rods) and therefore disengaged so the engine is able to spin while the drive sprocket does not.

That's the simple gist of it. So if the mechanism turns on the engine, it's possibly any of the things listed after that. The rod could be broken, the ball flattened and perhaps welded to the rod or even missing, the clutch pack could be worn or could be as simple as the discs and plates that make up the clutch pack are 'stuck' together. When they are stuck together, the pressure plate can be disengaged but the discs are physically stuck to the metal plates that turn with the engine. This continues to turn the drive sprocket even though everything else is working fine.

Yes I have also driven it , we push it and drop into first to drive , it goes all through the gears perfect . And rides fine . It's just the clutch inst working at all , I believe it might be missing a ball or something .. BUT the only problem is that I have NEVER seen a clutch look like this , on all the blaster videos I've seen , I have no idea how to take this apart . You guys take a look and let me know what you think cause idk how to get this thing apart

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    254.7 KB · Views: 922
The clutch is on the other side of the engine. You need to take the right engine cover off.

Download the manual available on here, I think it's a sticky.

Oh lord I'm an idiot , thanks man idk what i would do without this website . I'm about to take it off I will keep y'all updated :)

Does the actuator arm on the engine move when you pull the lever? How much?
Agreed that clutch pack is probably stuck, mostly due to lack of maintenance/oil change. As mentioned lots of other possibilities.
Rshutchison should know, major issue with his hybrid.

The Blaster trans is pretty stout, you may pick out with minimal damage.
Disassembly and inspection of clutch is only way to see what's up.
Good luck, let us know !!

And another quick question while your here , I took the cover off and this oil poured out what kind of oil is it and could you quickly and briefly explain what kinda oil and where to put it , this is my first two stroke I know about mixing oil but I believe it's some kind of gear oil

How in the hell do I get the kick start off ? Do i twist the bolt to the right or the left I was assuming left but it wouldn't budge

Okay here it is , I think this bolt was the problem , you guys take a look at the pictures and tell me what you think so far . I COULD NOT get the screws out that hold the springs in I have no idea how . But here's the photos

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 1,317
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 1,777
That is the second push rod and another adjustment for the clutch. I would reinstall that rod and properly adjust it, then pull the clutch lever and see if the pressure plate moves out. If it does, the plates are likely stuck.

The spring bolts just loosen out. Do it in a star criss-cross pattern, same for install. Once you remove the springs the pressure plate will come off and then you can remove the plates. Looks like you have some grooving in the clutch basket, you can file them or leave it as is, they really don't look that bad.

Download the manual, it has the proper procedure for adjusting that pushrod.

Last edited:
Any motor oil that is rates SM or less. No high mileage, friction modifier oil..You can get ATV/motorcycle oil at wally world or such . I've been using Shell Rotella T 15-40 in several different quads lately. Excellent oil, meets wet clutch specs, reasonable price
You can also use ATF type F, just have to change it more often.

Was there any metal flakes in the oil? All threads on Blaster are right hand.
Don't understand what first photo is about.. Spring bolts should come out easily.

Well here is the issue I cleaned all the plates , and put them back in and now the middle bolt works it pushes the clutch plates (clutch pack) back and fourth but the clutch still doesn't work I pull the cable and the plates loosen up and the pads separate I pull it while it's in gear but it still locks the clutch is still not working I have no idea what could be wrong now , could it be missing that small ball? The pack lossens but still it locks in gear ! What could it be this is driving me nuts

ok so now you need to adjust the clutch. Check for ball first. Take out that middle rod, tip blaster on its side. If no ball falls out, you need to buy one.

Once you figure out of that ball is in place you need to adjust it.
-Remove the clutch cable from the clutch actuator on the left side of the motor. Opposite of the clutch cover and clutch itself.
-You should see a "arrow" or point on the case near that. Now the arm comes to a point, with your FINGERS turn it until you get resistance. If the point on the arm and the "arrow" on the case are not pointed at each other you need to adjust it.

- that middle screw with the 10mm nut on it is the adjustment.
loosen the NUT, not the screw in the middle first.
Once the nut is loose use a Phillips to spin the center screw while holding pressure with your fingers on the arm until they line up. Once they are in line, tighten the nut.
Now the clutch is adjusted.
image-jpg.26751

When the clutch is DISengaged, there is only a few thousand between the plates. If you put it together dry the plates can't slide by each other.. If you were missing the ball you wouldn't see the pressure plate move.
How did the plates look? We're the steels discolored, blued? Might be best to check steels for warp. Check fibers for warp while you're at it.
What's condition of basket and inner hub, no grooves?

The clutch pads didn't look bad at all I cleaned and oiled them , there was shavings in the oil tho when I took it off the first time . But I removed the 10mill bolt and no ball fell out , but when I adjusted the screw or tried to the plates opened up when I pulled the cable but the clutch still wasn't engaging to let it free spin so it still locks in gear it must be missing a ball?

when I adjusted the screw or tried to the plates opened up when I pulled the cable

I'm pretty sure if the ball isn't in there, or welded to the end of the clutch side rod from extended lever pull at high rpm's, there's not enuf adjustment to overcome that missing part of the total length.

If your actuator was "on point" and produced pressure plate movement, I'm betting the ball is in there.

Well I hope this is good news , I put everyhing back together and oiled it up , and ran it ! The clutch actually like half way engages when I switch gears , I still have to push it in neutral to get it going then pop it into first . But when I downshift when driving I notice the clutch is semi working . It might just be a bad clutch cable !? Or I might need the ball. Should I just take it to a mechanic ? I like to work on my own things and can't really afford it . So I have no clue were to go now . It's half way working

all 4 wheelers need to be "rocked" into gear. Did you adjust like stated above? Did you try adjusting the clutch cable at the handle? When it does work, when does it grab? close to the bars? At the end of the pull?

It sort of engages at the very end of the pull , I have to pull it pretty hard and all the way in and it semi engages ,it's a very small notice when I'm downshifting I can notice the clutch just a little and that's it I believe I need a better cable this cable had all kind of washers and things keeping it tight . But after the new cable I guess I need to adjust that' screw and if not THEN I'm taking it a mechanic