clutch help

soon2b

Jan 13, 2013
I have been using the forum for the last week to help me get my sons blaster back to running. The bike was purchased tore apart so we have had to go through alot putting it back together. It is running now but i cant get the clutch adjusted. when started you let out on the clutch in any gear nothing happens. Its like the bike is still in nuetral. the bike never even stalls out. I know about the mark on the motor and the bracket. No matter what i do i cant get them to line up. Also the long phillips screw used to adjust going through the pressure plate never gets tight. Any clues to what my problem could be. Thanks in advance for any help

sounds like the 2 alignment dots were not aligned on the pressure plate/basket,
BRB, i'll find you pics and a vid

re-did the alignment dots today and watched the video too. I was wondering if i should check for the ball bearing in the end of the push rod. What happens if the bearing is not in there. Thanks

re-did the alignment dots today and watched the video too. I was wondering if i should check for the ball bearing in the end of the push rod. What happens if the bearing is not in there. Thanks

yuuuuup, if ball is missing or welded to the end of the rod, it will not push the pressure plate.

If the ball is not there you will get no pressure to disengage the clutch.

Make sure there is a good glob of grease on the ball.

I dont have a impact or the tool to hold the clutch basket here with me. So today i resoaked all the disc and put the pressure plate back on (aligned all the dots). I was still unable to get the clutch bracket to align on the case marking. When i put it all back togther this time though i did get some clutch. This time when i start the bike and put it in gear the bike tries to move then stalls out. with the bike in gear when i pull the clutch its like it isnt engaged enough cause the bike doesnt free wheel. Again thanks for any help

I forget the technical term but did you put the wavy looking ring in the right spot in clutch pack? Look at it with side casing off and give lever a pull.

I forget the technical term but did you put the wavy looking ring in the right spot in clutch pack? Look at it with side casing off and give lever a pull.

All the clutch conditions of are the metal rings which are off set all the way around and the fiber disc

did you check for the ball bearing ?
are you disconnecting the cable while doing the rod adjustment ?

did you check for the ball bearing ?
are you disconnecting the cable while doing the rod adjustment ?

I am disconnecting the cable. I don't have anything to get the clutch basket of with yet to check for the ball bearing. Thanks

when i tip the quad on its side i cant get anything to slide out of the clutch. Is there another way to do this. Im just stumped. Today i tried to just out or curiosity put a bb on the end of the push rod. This gave me some more adjustment. Still when i try to start the quad it will start in neutral pull the clutch in a put it in first the quad just stalls out like there is no clutch at all

when i tip the quad on its side i cant get anything to slide out of the clutch. Is there another way to do this. Im just stumped. Today i tried to just out or curiosity put a bb on the end of the push rod. This gave me some more adjustment. Still when i try to start the quad it will start in neutral pull the clutch in a put it in first the quad just stalls out like there is no clutch at all

have you tried allowing the engine to warm up and trying the clutch disengagement again ?
sometimes after sitting the plates like to "stick" together, causing symptoms similar to what your explaining, fully warmed up then working the clutch a few times usually frees them up.

but it does sound like your placing the BB in there proves your ball bearing was missing originally ?

BTW...the BB will not last long, you need to find the correct ball bearing before running it. then readjust the rod for the new ball

would this be a possibilty even though ive taken the clutch pack off and resoaked it twice. I will try this tomorrow thank you, and i know the bb is just a band aid to try and determine the problem

would this be a possibilty even though ive taken the clutch pack off and resoaked it twice. I will try this tomorrow thank you, and i know the bb is just a band aid to try and determine the problem

not likely after just soaking them, probably the internal adjustment now, redo it once you get the proper ball.

okay this is really getting frustrating. I have did it all im sure everything is there. The lever on the case that you are trying to line up with the mark on the case will never get to that point even if i dont have the clutch pack or pressure plate on there. The lever just wont pull all the way to the mark. So know matter what i do i still get no clutch on the bike. Thanks for all the help guys

if the pointer will not align with the notch ?

8156-clutch-adjustment.jpg

chances are the inner rod is pushed out too far past the flat spot of the actuator, pull the actuator up and out and look down in there, if more than just the tip of the inner rod is showing, you'll need to reach down in there and push it towards the clutch side, or compressed air may work, use a rubber tipped blower to seal against the case,
have the pressure plate and that side rod off, and hold a rag over the hole to catch the ball and inner most rod, in case the compressor happens to blow them out ???

some have had luck with a large magnet attached to a coat hanger, slide it in the clutch side and hope it grabs the ball/inner rod