Clutch Help

ScottSchwarzer

Apr 16, 2012
North Carolina
So when I got the blaster there was a clutch issue. When you shift into first it would stall/jump. The PO had a clutch kit that he had planned on using to replace it but never did so i figured i would try it. I drained the oil and as you can see it was a milky white.

2zs1mhv.jpg

I'm not too sure what that means or what kind of oil it is, never seen oil like that.

24qv7lc.jpg

It looks like i need to unfold that lock washer thats bent onto the big nut but do i need to replace it after?

1zclu6a.jpg

Last picture... The piece that is after the first two plates, should it be bent up like that?

2d2a9lj.jpg

that oil has a severe infestation of probably water, maybe a kerosene flush of the gearbox would help, the trans oil will need changed a few times before it all dissapates.
i'd check/change it weekly if needed till it comes out clear.

it is suggested to replace the "bend washer" on the clutch basket, or worse case...bend it over in a new spot

and that is the "wave washer" it was used to ease clutch operation for new atv owners
it mates up with a thinner fiber disc, i believe it's usually in the 2nd or 3rd spot ???
the wave washer can be left out, and run with just the thinner fiber
some clutch kits come with a full size replacement fiber disc

Last edited:
There are 4 bearings in the gear box which do not like running with water infested oil.

As Awk said flush out thoroughly a few times.

Fill with oil, ride it around and drain and flush again with kerosine.

I would be doing that a few times, any water left in the bearings is going to stuff them up.

Ohhh okay. The kit was ordered from Yamaha so it came with the thin friction plate. I'll order a new washer to be safe. Also there are grooves on the basket as you can see in the picture and I'm guessing i can find a video on filing them down...I don't have the 160 to spend on a new basket lol.

your never gonna get all them grooves out, but you can knock them down some and smooth them for better clutch action.
just file them on the same angle and you'll be fine

How would I go about flushing it out?

see post #4 by blaaaster
i'd go get me some cheap dollar store 10w-30, like 3-4 quarts, and just keep changing it every ride or 2,
it'll clear up, then use some good 2 stroke trans fluid or type atf tranny fluid,