Clutch basket question

blaster7

Mar 5, 2011
Martinsburg wv
Hey fellows I have a question,I took off my clutch cover today and started to take apart everything to get ready to install the crank and I found that the gear and the clutch basket have play and I can twist them,now I know many of you know what I'm talking about,what I need to know is how to fix it? is it just some bolts and nuts that's a specific size or does it need new rubber bushings as well? any help would be great guys.

If memory serves they are riveted together. Good for not loosening but what happens is the hole enlarges over time causing the play.

Well it's definitely got a little to much play,I have another motor and that one seems pretty tight ya know,so there's not any rubber bushings in between the gear and basket? because I thought there was.

i believe it is possible to drill them out and bolt the gear to the clutch, but i'm not 100% how well it works

Well it's definitely got a little to much play,I have another motor and that one seems pretty tight ya know,so there's not any rubber bushings in between the gear and basket? because I thought there was.

the gear has cutouts that the cushions and clutch basket dogs go into.Here are pictures of cushions that are wore out and cushions that are new and what it looks like when it is assembled.

Attachments

• IMAG0380.jpg
    IMAG0380.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 354
  • IMAG0401.jpg
    IMAG0401.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 383
  • 3n23m13pa5V15W65X4b891750dd4e4bff1658.jpg
    3n23m13pa5V15W65X4b891750dd4e4bff1658.jpg
    10.1 KB · Views: 390
Reactions: Larry's Shee
you can buy the cushions from UPP.the OEM baskets are not threaded,my advice if your pulling the basket and gear apart to just replace the basket with an aftermarket basket like a PE or hinson basket(the PE is much cheaper and just as good)

@chutzell thank you very much buddy for those pics,they help alot lol,let me know where to get replacement bolts and nuts if possible buddy,thanks again guys for all the help.

hutz already stated you cannot bolt the stock gear to the stock basket, you'll need a good used stock basket/gear, or a billet clutch basket, which is tapped and comes with the bolts, and directions to install it, be sure to use ample amounts of red lock tite on those bolts

heres my experience with the billet basket install...........

http://www.blasterforum.com/do-yourself-20/m-clutch-basket-install-40531/