Clean up your act !!!

Larry's Shee

Technician
May 23, 2009
Ortskaville, MI
All to often I see engines torn apart that look like a pig pen.

Would you want a heart transplant done in a pig pen ???

Well, removing your cylinder is very similar !!

Safety First !!!

NEVER EVER
use gasoline for a cleaning product !!
You will make an ash of your self!

An average human hair is about .004", piston clearance is .002- .003" cold. We have all seen the results of zero clearance on a piston. Roller and ball bearings have near zero clearance http://machinedesign.com/mechanical-drives/understanding-bearing-internal-clearance

Cricky, at least throw a couple buckets of water on it, or use the hose, to remove the loose sand.
Better yet would be power washer or a trip to the car wash.

A good pre-soak goes a long way to help with cleaning. Cheapest I think is Dawn dish soap in a spray bottle. Ausome cleaner from Dollar store works good also I hear.

On to interior cleaning. A cat litter pan is about as cheap as you can get. Off-road diesel, regular diesel, kerosene in order of cost. A parts wash brush with stiff bristles from Autozone (etc) works well. Set of detail brushes, small paint brush, old toothbrush, and even Q-tips are things I use. If my used fuel has any kind of grit I may filter it, but never use it for any kind of "interior" cleaning. Nice thing is that steel parts won't rust, because of the oil, but will attract dust so clean parts need to be covered.

For things that need to be oil free such as case halves, gasket surfaces , I use paint thinner, lacquer thinner, or brake cleaner. All depends on what exactly I'm doing.

Reactions: blasDa and jimmu