Carnage

125pb

Apr 25, 2010
3000ft above sea level, 70-85F
17bc799e.mp4 video by 125pb - Photobucket

http://i1213.photobucket.com/albums/cc462/125pb/825993bb.jpg

http://i1213.photobucket.com/albums/cc462/125pb/116b7e23.jpg

ok guys i need a second opinion, while riding i noticed my clutch wasnt working right and everytime i would pull it in it would kind of grind for a second, also noticed the clutch arm came out of ajustment, pulled the cover and found broken peices of the bearing stopper from the imput shaft on the trans. my concern is why it broke. and im sure that the bearing and shaft should move a little like in the vid but just wanted to make sure with somebody else. i assembled this transmission from used parts and if i remember right the bearing stopper was slightly bent. so im guessing that over time it kept flexing finally snaped. anyone with some insite?

There's A LOT of aluminum flecks under that clutch cover. I doubt all that came from that bearing retainer. In my professional opinion, you have not found the root cause of the failure. It will probably require splitting the cases to find the real problem.

thats is quite unusual, seems like that bearing is too loose in the case? this would allow it to rotate as well as the in and out wiggle it has. is it the correct bearing?

http://i1213.photobucket.com/albums/cc462/125pb/63107c67.jpg

yeah thats what i thought, at first i thought the clutch plates ground into each other but then i noticed the clutch basket, looks like the bearing stopper got cought between it and the case and ground the basket?

It's possible but that still looks like an awful lot of aluminum flakes in that case to only be a few scrapes around the clutch basket...

How deep are the gouges anyway? Are they deep enough to need to replace the basket?

It's possible but that still looks like an awful lot of aluminum flakes in that case to only be a few scrapes around the clutch basket...

How deep are the gouges anyway? Are they deep enough to need to replace the basket?

no, the basket should be fine. the grooves go all around it (because it was spinning while the broken peice was jammed somewhere in the case) but if you run your finger across the basket you can fell a slight depression where the aluminum is missing. and its the same all around it.

thats is quite unusual, seems like that bearing is too loose in the case? this would allow it to rotate as well as the in and out wiggle it has. is it the correct bearing?

i was hoping that someone had a case open and could compare their bearing movement with mine (shown in video) i want to say that it is normal because when you dissasemble the trans that input shaft and bearing just slide out of the case, and that is the purpose of the bearing stopper (thats what the manual calls it) or plate cover (dealer and parts book calls it) the peice should sit flush with a flat surface (like table or work bench) correct me if im wrong but when i installed it 2 years ago when i rebuild the tranny i remember the peice being being not so flat. almost like it had been installed to many times kind of like using the same cotter pin or lock washer? know what i mean?

well i dont like threads that dont have a solution or ending so heres my update
installed a new OEM plate stopper in the trans, also took out the wavey ring found in the clutch plates( made a big difference) and then topped it off with some atf since everyone seems to love it. started up fine, even shifted fine. i drove it at least 5 miles in town with no indications of a problem. i just hope its the end of this :)

i was hoping that someone had a case open and could compare their bearing movement with mine (shown in video) i want to say that it is normal because when you dissasemble the trans that input shaft and bearing just slide out of the case, and that is the purpose of the bearing stopper (thats what the manual calls it) or plate cover (dealer and parts book calls it) the peice should sit flush with a flat surface (like table or work bench) correct me if im wrong but when i installed it 2 years ago when i rebuild the tranny i remember the peice being being not so flat. almost like it had been installed to many times kind of like using the same cotter pin or lock washer? know what i mean?

I should have spoke up earlier but I figured someone else would chime in. That bearing movement is absolutely normal, the only thing that holds that bearing "thrust" wise into the case is the bearing retainer plate and two screws.

If the plate wasn't sitting flat before, something was holding it off and it not being tight would explain how it came loose.

Glad to hear you got the problem resolved!

So were the two screws still in but the plate broke? Did you locktite the screws?

when i first opened the case the screws were still in there and tight. i did not use locktite. manual was vary vague, but i know i should have anyways, just was in a rush to see if it would work. i dont recall putting it on when i rebuilt the trans 2 years either so hopefully i have a little luck