Clutch won't work

DrywallDoc

Sep 29, 2015
New motor to me.
Rebuilt top end and when I went to put it together I noticed the clutch lever was way to easy to pull. I tried adjusting at the cable and nothing. Then I took the right cover off to take a look and noticed the lever doesn't even move the plates. Tried the adjustment on the clutch basket and that doesn't work either. I disconnected the cable at the handlebar and pushed the tension rod forward then tightened the screw at the basket and the screw gets tight before the rod lines up with the mark. I have done this procedure twice. The second time I replaced the plates and cable off a working blaster. Any ideas? When I pull the clutch in it doesn't go back in all the way like if it had too much slack. But again I have tried with working parts and nothing. Is it possible something is stuck in the rod hole or behind the ball bearing

Last edited:
The inner push rod may have slipped under the clutch arm. is the arm sitting flush on the case?
I thought the same thing. I looked inside the clutch arm hole and could see the tip of the rod. I stuck something in to push it out of the way and still nothing. I even did it the way in my clymers manual and couldn't get it right. I am going to start from scratch again with a brand new cable and clutch kit. Thanks for the help bud

ball bearing between the 2 rods inside ?

dots on pressure plate and clutch boss lined up ?

full

adjustments nut/rod on pressure plate adjusted so actuator pointer aligns up to notch on cases (under the carb) ?

full