carb size?

ks_2k_blast

Feb 19, 2010
i have a mikuni carb on my 2000 blaster with a 200 main jet. plug is between brown and black but comes out dry. i know 200 is really small for a blaster but i think its still running rich. its borred 1 mm over. just ordered new exhaust cuz mine had major leaking. on rare occation i hear a loud knock (at high rpm but not pinned) like a rod knocking in a car and it fouls a plug every hour or 2 of riding. think the carb is too big? not sure of the size. would the leaky exhaust be a problem?

sounds like you have a whole mess of problems, that knocking you hear could be piston slap, which means the bore is to big for the piston, so the piston is slapping the cylinder which would eventually cause it to shatter and destroy the motor
The leaky exhaust could be slight problem but doubt it would cause the problem you have now.

What my guess is, is that since the bore is bigger than the piston it could be getting flooded with fuel causing your jetting problem

Well you can check by starting the motor and spraying soapy water at all the gasket surfaces like the head, and where the cylinder connects to the bottom end, but before doing that i recommend building a leakdown tester, there is a how to in the DIY section of the forum, a leakdown test will help you find out if you even have a leak

Just wondering about something, Was the 200 main in it or did someone else put it in there? Cause normally that is low for a stock bike. It might be possible that some one drilled the main too, people do dumb things some times. Then it wouldn't truely be a 200 if it was bored out to get a richer mix.

how long is the jet? i have a sneaking suspiscion that this is a keihin jet that someone has put in a mikuni carb.........

dont think its been drilled. i have a 190 and the hole looks the same size. no visual differance. its about 3/8 of an inch long. same as my 190 i got for $5 at the local bike shop.

How does it respond off idle, if it acts slugish then the idle circuit might be rich, if it hesitates then it's more likely lean when punching the throttle. But it could an indication of a intake leak also. But think you should try throttle chops at 1/4 1/2 wot with fresh plugs after the the engine is warmed to get a better carb tuning. That might direct you which area needs to be tweeked.

The opening where the needle slides into would be about the same but might not be the same in the main, or the bottom part..... do the jets look identical other wise?

a bit sluggish or boggy off idle. sometimes cuts out at mid to high rpm in low gears. thanks for the help so far. ill check back later.

thanks for the link. btw, i would post a pic but need to find a new cord for my camera. phone can is broken, and dog made a chew toy of my digital camera cord. lol

thanks for the link. btw, i would post a pic but need to find a new cord for my camera. phone can is broken, and dog made a chew toy of my digital camera cord. lol

Hear ya on that, puppy loved cordsX( Now I don't have the cord to a camera, can't charge it either.

u dont need a camera just look on the side of the jet where the # is and if its a keihin jet it will have the star logo by the jet #s. or it could be one of thoes cheap knock off jets that could be any size thats why u dont ever buy the cheap knock off one #s are way off. here some of the styles of keihin jets that u can kinda double check with your to make sure your is not a keihin jet . Carburetor Jet List good luck man hope this helps ya put some how.

must be a cheap knock off. no star by the number. the 190 jet says the number on the side but no star. the 200 says it on the top. the side that screws in.