Carb settings please!

Tonyv913

Jun 12, 2017
03 blaster with toomey b1
I just recently put a new top end kit on along with a brand new carb. Now I'm getting bad idle response. I think it's running lean. It idles fine until I give it gas and then it starts banging up and down until I put in in gear and go. also, when the choke is out, it's doing the opposite.. it's stalling out instead of revinf higher.. Any factory carb settings will be helpful too! Thanks..

Last edited:
Is it a OEM carb of eBay carb? What brand is the top end kit.

Download the service manual. It is free and has the info you want.

Is it a OEM carb of eBay carb? What brand is the top end kit.

Download the service manual. It is free and has the info you want.

They're both eBay unfortunately lol but I was wondering if I need to dial something in better because of the pipe I'm running. Any help is welcome! Thanks man

the odds of an ebay carb having the jets a blaster needs are a losing bet.

stock 32.5 pilot
airscrew at 1.5 to start tuning it
stock needle 5J22-2 on middle clip setting
for your mods......310 - 320 - 330 main jets, start large and plug chop down

Take off the air box top. Does it run better or worse? Better= too rich worse equals too lean. Sounds like trash in the needle and seat. Carbs most of the time cause bad performance! Start at the beginning > is it too rich- flooding or too lean starving. Pull out the plug and replace it first b8es is factory plug ngk gap to specs. If you set float height , set it dead level with the carburetor upside down . Do not push down on needle to set float. If it's grooved, replace it! Peace✌️

the odds of an ebay carb having the jets a blaster needs are a losing bet.

stock 32.5 pilot
airscrew at 1.5 to start tuning it
stock needle 5J22-2 on middle clip setting
for your mods......310 - 320 - 330 main jets, start large and plug chop down

Thanks, my old carb should have the correct jets. I got the quad with the pipe already on it. So hopefully I can change these to the ones that were on the old carb and see what happens..

Take off the air box top. Does it run better or worse? Better= too rich worse equals too lean. Sounds like trash in the needle and seat. Carbs most of the time cause bad performance! Start at the beginning > is it too rich- flooding or too lean starving. Pull out the plug and replace it first b8es is factory plug ngk gap to specs. If you set float height , set it dead level with the carburetor upside down . Do not push down on needle to set float. If it's grooved, replace it! Peace✌️

DO you think once I add the correct jets, it will run much better? The carb is brand new along with the top end..

Mixture is key players on all gas mix engines also use Pure 100 % gas no Ethenol ! 1 1/2 turns out mix needle and 2 notch on needle is factory settings peace✌️

Have you completed the break in time on this top end?

I took it out for a few hours yesterday but I didn't beat on it. Once I put the right jets in it then I will continue to break it in. I just hope I didn't smoke the rings from running it on smaller jets.