Carb query

Going to check all ground points and everything associated with spark. Have already cleaned and prefixed plug cap
Tank breather is clear
Now, the washer under the main jet. Is that basically securing the main jet body ( brass bit needle slides in) so it doesn't move up with the needle. If so, this was missing so made another using a bit of tin can. Very thin but does the job of stopping it sliding up
Is there anything else on a standard carb that is 'adjustable' apart from idle screw and float level
Thanks chaps. You guys know your stuff

1. Now, the washer under the main jet. Is that basically securing the main jet body ( brass bit needle slides in) so it doesn't move up with the needle. If so, this was missing so made another using a bit of tin can. Very thin but does the job of stopping it sliding up

2. Is there anything else on a standard carb that is 'adjustable' apart from idle screw and float level
Thanks chaps. You guys know your stuff

1. that washer does indeed hold the needle jet from moving up and out of the carb body, which is the way to remove it for cleaning.
but, that washers thickness also indexes the main jet height, and not using it or a thinner tin can washer, will screw with the main jets height down in in the fuel/bowl, more than likely creating a lean condition on the needle and main jet.....if the floats are set correctly at the stock 20-21.5mm height.

you need to get the correct washer for under the main jet, or chase your tail :(

2. the idle screw and float height are adjustable, as is the airscrew, which sometimes gets confused as the idle, they are totally seperate.
without reading back thru this whole thread, heres the diy's on adjusting floats and
the airscrew/pilot:

http://www.blasterforum.com/threads/float-heights-and-how-to-adjust-them.50565/
http://www.blasterforum.com/threads/adjusting-your-airscrew-pilot-jet.51060/

Last edited:
OK
Going to take 2 weeks or so to get it. Can anyone tell me how thick it is and I'll fabricate one. Wanna ride......

sorry, can't help ya there, but i'd be willing to bet this place can have one to you in few days ?
http://www.carbparts.com/
just call them and order it

the truth shall set you free.:cool:
The whole truth nothing but the truth

ok well digital calipers are reading the main jet washer as 1/16 of an inch thick,i just measured a spare one i got for you:)

glad i could help,but it would pay to buy one as well,also sometimes they stick to the carb body sooo make sure it is really not there :)

yay !!!!!
cleaned all electrical contacts to spark plug, coil etc etc, and did the washer in the carb
success, goes like stink now
still won't idle, so adjusted the cable (naughty I know)
need to tidy a few things up, but essentially there
did decide not to start for 5 minutes. really odd. checked all electrical connections, still nothing, then swore at it (like you do) and it started. This might be an intermittant issue that caused the bike to be laid up to begin with
no spark, no lights, nothing. did continuity test on key switch and dead mans handle, both fine, so guess it's something else. Ideas ??
found out why front brakes were sticky............me thinking binding pots, but no............sticky lever would you believe

thanks to one and all for tips, suggestions, do and don't. very much appreciated

Thanks

Dic