Carb query

Dic

Jun 15, 2014
Southern Portugal
Hello Everyone
My first post, my first blaster
It has been stood for 4 years in a barn after being riden on the beach so the frame is a bit rusty
Everything is there so why not buy it and use it
Got it running after 2 or 3 hours work on carb and ignition
My query is, when I opened the float chamber a spring appeared
It is a fine spring. 7mm long, and 4mm diameter
I cannot think where it is from ? I have stripped carbs before and it's not obvious what it's for
Carb has been totally stripped and cleaned. I will be ordering a refurb kit, but for now the carb leaks a little from main rear overflow when the fuel is left turned on. Going to set float height as detailed on here and see what happens
Any thoughts
Thanks in advance
Dic

(In bloomin hot southern Portugal)

There is a small spring under the air screw 7 on the diag.
image.jpg

Something tells me thats were the spring came from, cause the size of the spring he gave seems like that would fit in side the needle, an the fact that its leaking fuel backs that up, the needle probably blow apart, an the float isnt sealing the needle now

7mm x 4mm may not fit inside the needle, but there again people can do wonderful things with springs!

ok, so this other spring is in the needle jet assembly
there is currently no spring anywhere in there
where does it sit ?
it runs, but very lumpy and pretty much only on full throttle
loving this forum already
long time since I had a 2 stroke, and the smell is a huge blast from the past (along with coke from a bottle, dads pipe etc

It wouldn't be from the needle jet, I was thing from the inside of the float needle an seat. I think I have a few laying around ill try to pop one open an see what the spring inside looks like

The needle thats shuts the fuel off in the seat, has a little plunger which is operated by an internal spring.

i have never known that unit to explode, so i doubt if that is the spring.

if it runs lumpy then you should leak test it.

The needle is 10.
image.jpg

ok, so all new seals etc from moose kit, floats set etc etc
can't leak test yet as no kit, but maybe soon
now it runs
tors removed
parking brake sensor removed
runs, but won't idle despite major fiddling
also when running it doesn't really have any guts at top end. just pops and splutters but still goes
the main needle. what does adjusting the height do
currently it's set at middle notch. thinking I'm getting too much fuel as it appears to be using alot of fuel
thoughts please
also, this is my first quad, ridden one before, but don't remember it being like riding a mullered donkey with a mind of it's own. appears to be all over the place, tho the roads here are poo
thanks for any tips
Dic

Without leak testing you should refrain from riding it.

If it is leaky you will have all the trouble in the world getting it to run right.

2s aren't economy champs. Most everyone runs on middle clip.
And you should refrain from riding until you get it sorted out. You could be doing damage to the engine.

As to the handling, check all suspension, bearings, toe in/out, and make sure left/right tires have same pressure.

ok, so homemade tester it is..........
the breather from the transmission. this would obviously be clamped prior to testing
correct ?
thanks all