Can't kick

RoloTheMan

Aug 12, 2014
I let a friend use my bike (it was his first time riding). He seemed to be doing fine but then came back pushing the bike and said he wasn't able to kickstart it. I'm not sure how it shut off on him but the kickstart will not move at all. Is it a top end problem or am I going to have to replace the bottom end stuff ??

Also I took my exhaust off because I was going to just try and do the top end (friend told me it's probably bottom end dice it won't kick, so I just stopped at the exhaust). But when I took it off I could here something in it. Sounds like a piece of metal is inside but I can't seem to get it out of any of the holes. (Not sure if this would help determine wants wrong??)

I let a friend use my bike (it was his first time riding). He seemed to be doing fine but then came back pushing the bike and said he wasn't able to kickstart it. I'm not sure how it shut off on him but the kickstart will not move at all. Is it a top end problem or am I going to have to replace the bottom end stuff ??

will the engine rotate while pushing it in gear ? if so it could just be a kickstarter problem

if not :(.............
sounds like the top end has seized (piston stuck to cylinder) or broken a piston skirt.
this could be from many things....incorrect jetting, lack of oil, airleak, holding it wide open for miles on end overheating it, ect.
the damage will determine if just a top end rebuild, or full top/bottom end is needed.

Reactions: RoloTheMan
Also I took my exhaust off because I was going to just try and do the top end (friend told me it's probably bottom end dice it won't kick, so I just stopped at the exhaust). But when I took it off I could here something in it. Sounds like a piece of metal is inside but I can't seem to get it out of any of the holes. (Not sure if this would help determine wants wrong??)

you can look up in the exhaust port to see if it broke a piston skirt,
do not try to kickstart it again, as the broken piece may damage the cases or more.
time to disassemble the engine to access the damage, and report back what you find ?

BTW....welcome to BF Rolo !

Is your pipe stock? Reason I ask is because stock pipe has a baffle or something in it thats known to come free an jingle around in the pipe, it kinda sounds like someone dropped a hotwheels car in the pipe

Thanks for the welcome Awk08

Okay so today I removed the top end and nothing looked broken. The top of the piston was black but was not broken or cracked. It was really hard to remove the cylinder (I got a flat head and popped it up).
What I did notice was that on the crank I could see what looked like metal shavings.
Also the bike was in first and I could see the crank and rod move just a bit wen I pushed the bike. (I never forced it to roll in gear). I tried to move the rod up and down and it would go the same as when I pushed it.

Ooh and I was doing a lot of wide open throttle throughout the day trying to keep up with 400s and 450s in the streets.

Is your pipe stock? Reason I ask is because stock pipe has a baffle or something in it thats known to come free an jingle around in the pipe, it kinda sounds like someone dropped a hotwheels car in the pipe

Pipe is stock so I think your right because that's exactly what it sounds like

Those pieces of metal your seeing in the crank are probably pieces of a shattered piston. Take a pic if that piston and inside the crank case and we should be able to tell you if its broken.

If it did break, the only way to get all the metal out is to split the cases, and clean them out.

Welcome to the site too!

Yes take some pics of inside the motor for us
1. create photobucket account
2. upload pics to photobucket from computer/phone ( there is an awesome app)
3. on photo bucket click on the "img" link on the right ride. It should turn a color and then say "copied" it is not copied to your clipboard
4. come back to your post, and right click, paste. you will see a long website addressthat starts with something.
5 before posting, at the bottom, click the "more options" button. Then select the "Preview" buttom. This will show you what your post will look like and you can check to make sure your picture looks good.
6. Once you like it, reply to thread! pretty simple lol

3. on photo bucket click on the "img" link on the right ride. It should turn a color and then say "copied" it is NOW copied to your clipboard
4. come back to your post, and right click, paste. you will see a long website addressthat starts with something.
5 before posting, at the bottom, click the "more options" button. Then select the "Preview" buttom. This will show you what your post will look like and you can check to make sure your picture looks good.

Fixed

3. on photo bucket click on the "img" link on the right ride. It should turn a color and then say "copied" it is not copied to your clipboard
1. take the picture with your phone
2. screenshot the picture
3. upload the screenshot to the forum
much simpler than using photobucket

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg