Can't find trans leak, help please!

Dan Coburn

Jul 3, 2017
I put in a new clutch, filled with 22 oz of ATF. (650 ml) rode several times since, no drips. Was riding today and could smell ATF. There's fluid on the frame right below the stator cover, and dripping off stator cover. I pulled off the stator cover and it's dry inside. The front sprocket is dry, and the shift shaft appears to be dry as well. I even got it off the ground and looked all over the underside with a flashlight, can't tell where it's coming from! I pulled the vent tube and blew through it, it's not plugged. What the heck? The clutch side is dry. Any ideas?

Other than the shift shaft and drive seals, the only other thing I can think of would be to check for some nasty chain whack on the cases. The clutch actuator rod has a seal on it also.

After sitting all night it hasn't leaked, appears to be throwing oil while riding. I'll look some more today. No chain whacks, this is really bizarre.

Well damn..... In front of the front sprocket there was some grooving, further inspection and cleaning after removing sprocket revealed a couple small cracks.... gonna try jb.

I did the JB weld, hoping it will work. I can feel the area flex when I pull the clutch in, really hoping it works.....

Success!!! The JB weld worked, pretty happy. I rode it hard all morning, not a single drip. Not sure how long it will hold up with ATF on it constantly, but for now the band aid is holding.

Best thing to do is look for a good case half over or someplace that can weld aluminum.

Cases are getting harder to find that aren't all destroyed.
I'm actually looking to get a whole new motor/trans for extra parts, there's a guy selling a few here for a good price. Looking for a case saver too.