cant diagnose this! fuel issue?

ks_2k_blast

Feb 19, 2010
2000 blaster borred one mm over. starts great but idles out after about a minute. if i give it throttle to keep it goin it bogs sounding like a sick 4 stroke then dies or picks back up to idle for a few more seconds then dies. my exhaust seems a little smokier than normal but not too much. checked my compression its at 120-122 psi. i have a few exhaust leaks due to it being old and abused. would that have any thing to do with it? just re-jetted my carb too. went from 200 to 190. (it was cutting out in high rpms. thats what the guy at the local shop said i should try.) the problem started after i took in some water. got it all dryed out tho. any ideas on how to fix this?

190?????

unless you up in the mountain i wouldnt run anything less then a 230 main in a stock bike

as far as cutting out if could be a shearer flywheel key or a bad cdi/coil.

but start with the jetting

some more info on your location would help out

its where the fuel hose connects to the tank, drain the tank and pull that down and see if its gummed up or nice and clean

havent checked the petcock yet, but it flowed freely yesterday when i drained the tank. just cleaned the carb and it didnt help. one of the times it idled for me it finished with a backfire before it died. havent changed my jet yet except back up to the 200, but that shouldnt affect it unless im reving it, right? the 200 always worked before, just probly not as good as a bigger one. again, the problems started after i sucked up water, but its all dry now and i still have good compression. any other i deas? gremlins? lol

just changed my spark plug and got no change in what its doing, but whoa its running rich! my idle sounds normal but plug reads a bit rich. after i bog it down trying to give it gas, it reads way too rich. but that makes it sound to me like a smaller main jet would fix it... but im already at a 200, have a 190 i tryed but didnt help. not sure of my elevation, but im from kansas near the flint hills, but its not real high.

its gonna look rich if your only revving it, get a good 10 15 mins on a plug and then look at it.
That 190 was wayy to small.
200 even sounds small.
clean your airfilter, check your reeds.
did you mess with the needle at all?
will it run long enough for you to take it for a rip?

reeds are good. wont stay running for more than a minute. if i even try to drive it it dies the second the clutch strts to make contact due to the bogging when i give it any gas issue. havent touched my needle. would i adjust it to be higher or lower? running as rich as it is, should i wait till i fix this problem to get a bigger jet, or the jet might be part of the problem? this thing really has me stumped. its my first 2 stroke and i have had nothin but problems.

are you sure its running rich?

pretty sure. puttin out a bit more blue smoke than what i think is normal judging off how much it smoked when i first got it (which wasn't much at all). about as much or slightly more than a weed eater (assuming it was a 200cc weed eater). but i could very well be wrong. after all it is my first 2 stroke. not exactly sure how to describe the amont of smoke to you.