burning tranny fluid

ryguy21s22

Feb 11, 2014
michigan
just replace the clutch side crank seal and put everything back together. my blaster is still burning, sucking, tranny fluid. would the left stator side crank seal being bad cause the same problem? im getting frustrated. i also replace the shift shaft seal and kick starter seal.

some times it will leak around the collar I would do a leak test and go from there.Maybe its just residual fluid left from before you did the seal

some times it will leak around the collar I would do a leak test and go from there.Maybe its just residual fluid left from before you did the seal
the metal collar that goes over the crank shaft and in the inner part of the crank shaft seal? and unfortuanatly after letting it idle for a little bit and shutting it off i checkked the tranny fluid level and it was considerabley lower. how much is a leak down tester? i heard a member sells them. would rather purchasse from a member first. the stator side crank seal being bad wont allow me to lose tranny fluid would it?

no only the clutch side.Yes the collar you mentioned is the 1.Awk 08 sells them I have 1 good product and fair price pm him for details and price

ok, and i would have to take of the clutch cover and the drive gears to get a good look at the seal and collar to see if its leaking there?

If a leak is at that crank seal it will come out the vent tube, righ by the back corner of the cylinder. When you spray it down with soapy water it will bubble out through that small nipple / tube.

If a leak is at that crank seal it will come out the vent tube, righ by the back corner of the cylinder. When you spray it down with soapy water it will bubble out through that small nipple / tube.
o ok thats if i dont take off the clutch cover i gotcha ty both for the input

yes I believe so check condition of collar also
the collar did have wear but it didnt seem bad to me but also was my first crank shaft collar ive ever inspected, you could see where that collar had been wearin on sumthin and i wasnt sure which way it went back in but after looking at it, it looked like it didnt matter. it is the origanal collar from 99, think replaceing that collar could be my simple fix?

The tranny oil window/site glass is know to fool you most of the times!!!
Drain oil, add correct amount and leave it.
Ride a bit, drain oil and measue if you want to.

With mine, sometimes it shows overfull, then half, then empty...
Takes a while to stabilise after it was running. But on average, when cold, it shows the correct level.

Leak test would reveal an issue though.

I would suggesr pressuring the engine and holding the gearcase breather pipe about 5-10mm under water. Any bubbles = internal casing/crack or faulty seal/collar.

Any wear on the collar will inhibit a seal doing its proper job, it may seal well cold at a leak test, but put it under temperature and revolutions an I may fail dismally.

The collar is known to allow passage of oil between itself and the crankshaft and can be fixed by a small amount of sealant spread over the crank before sliding the collar on.

Any wear on the collar will inhibit a seal doing its proper job, it may seal well cold at a leak test, but put it under temperature and revolutions an I may fail dismally.

The collar is known to allow passage of oil between itself and the crankshaft and can be fixed by a small amount of sealant spread over the crank before sliding the collar on.
ok that is one thing i was curious about and thank you for bringing it up. i was sure if the collar spun and if yama bond was a good idea for that kind of application. i alreay have yama bond around the outer edge of the crank seal but none around the inner portion of the crank seal. so its ok to put yama bond on the inner portion of the the crank seal meeting with the collar? and yama bond on the shaft itselft meeting the collar? this is all ok?

The tranny oil window/site glass is know to fool you most of the times!!!
Drain oil, add correct amount and leave it.
Ride a bit, drain oil and measue if you want to.

With mine, sometimes it shows overfull, then half, then empty...
Takes a while to stabilise after it was running. But on average, when cold, it shows the correct level.

Leak test would reveal an issue though.

I would suggesr pressuring the engine and holding the gearcase breather pipe about 5-10mm under water. Any bubbles = internal casing/crack or faulty seal/collar.
thnx for the advice jay appreciate it

i found a post on here about how to seal your crank collar. the guy used a sealant called ultra copper. the collar spins with the crank shaft. allowing the sealant to take effect. therefore creating the wear on the collar from the seal. going to buy the ultra copper, new collar, leak test. and hopefully my problem is fixed. ill let you know if this fixes my problem. ty all for the help and input. GREATLY APPRECTIATED!

O, in regard to the collar, mine had some grooves in it, which I polished out with some emery cloth on a lathe.(suppose you could do it in a drill press too.) Just take enough off, evenly, to take the deep ridge off.
The problem comes in with old hard seals and any sideways movement of the crank. That would cause the seal to leak too.

Either replace coller or resurface if there is any noticable ridges.

I use a smidgen of yamabond/3bond where the coller meets the crank. Just watch out to not get any on the seal itself.

O, in regard to the collar, mine had some grooves in it, which I polished out with some emery cloth on a lathe.(suppose you could do it in a drill press too.) Just take enough off, evenly, to take the deep ridge off.
The problem comes in with old hard seals and any sideways movement of the crank. That would cause the seal to leak too.

Either replace coller or resurface if there is any noticable ridges.

I use a smidgen of yamabond/3bond where the coller meets the crank. Just watch out to not get any on the seal itself.
why should i not get any on the seal itself? ive seen it done before around the outer edge of the seal just to help keep a seal. it is corrosive or sumthin i dont know about? i put yama bond around the outer edge of my crank seal because i was worried bout a small gouge i made with my seal puller. for the collar i just ordered a new one.

/\ /\ /\ I think ryguy was meaning not to get any sealant on the lip of the seal.

It is good practice the apply sealant to the outer surface where it meets the crankcase.

Reactions: ryguy21s22