Briggs& Stratton Power washer ???

Larry's Shee

Technician
May 23, 2009
Ortskaville, MI
Craftsman power washer with Briggs engine, vertical shaft. Anyone have any experience with them as to seeming to run pig rich?? I haven't torn into it as it's to cold here N of Detroit to use it yet. It is carb on top of gas tank, so it's not the float, it's pig rich, so it's not plugged jets. Pull air cleaner off and it runs worse, so it's not a dirty filter. It has no adjustments like old school briggs. Got it on a trade with practically no hours on it, maybe one tank of gas.

Anywho, post up some suggestions. Thanks. I:I

Do a leak test, then plug chop and let us know what your results are!

Lol im jp.

Ive got one of them engines on a rototiller, except its horizontal shaft, shes old, runs like sh*t, spits crazy fuel, cleaned and cleaned and cleaned. Dunno whats wrong either.

Well thanks to the EPA ,tree huggers and "cheapening" of products I don't think it even has an idle adjustment screw X(. Thought I just had is the threaded hole for the air cleaner retaining screw goes all the way through to the tank area, maybe it's leaking fuel up through there? Hhmmmmmmmmm. Maybe missing O-ring, or needs one?
Modification enginneering I:I
Must be bored to post something like this 8-|

Just like most, looking for easy way out, lol. Gonna do it the old fashioned way, tear it apart to see what makes it tick.

Any ideas are more than welcome. I:I

A lot of people around here having issues toowith those. From what iv heard new carbs on them are just junk can't do much with them

:eek: Gee thanks, just what I wanted to hear8-|:D Add one more to the list. This didn't even have the paint burnt off the muffler when I got it. And maybe only a gallon or so of gas thru it. X( X( X( X( X( X(

I fix these things for a living. First off, that engine has been made for years by Briggs and Stratton. They are cheap, but are still very reliable and will last for years if maintained properly.. I take it your pressure washer has the small, plastic carburetor sitting on top of the metal fuel tank. While that carburetor has no adjustments thanks to EPA regs, it is still very servicable. Take the carb and tank off the engine. Remove the five screws holding the carb to the tank, and lift the carb up and off. There is a rubber fuel pump diaphragm and a gasket between the carb and tank.

Ill about bet money the fuel pump diaphragm got pinched when the engine was assembled. When this happens, gas leaks past the diaphragm and into the carb throat, causing it to run rich. I see this from time to time at work. Change the diaphragm and gasket, take the protective screen off the main nozzle of the carb and blow it out, and reassemble, and I bet your problem will be solved. Be careful not to pinch the pump diaphragm when YOU put it back together. Haha. Tighten the five carb bolts in a criss-cross pattern, starting with the ones closest to the throttle plate on the carb, working back towards the primer bubble. The pump diaphragm goes against the flat flange on the fuel tank. Gasket on top.

In extreme cases, the plastic carb's mounting flange can warp and cause the same problem. In this case, double-up the gasket (use only one pump diaphragm...the one with the flapper valves) or, if you have to, replace the carb altogether. (Only about $ 35.00, so not too bad).

Oh, if you need a diaphragm kit, you'll need a Briggs and Stratton part # 5083 kit. I have one in my hand as I type this. Cost? $ 4.95. Fix it, don't follow bad advice and junk it. I:I

Now this^^^ makes perfect sense !!! I could only think that it had to be some kind of flaw. Thank you for the part # too. I would think (hope) that a decent shop would stock this. By chance do you know if the gasket is available seperate, or should I just get two of the kits while I'm there, in case of warpage?

As far as junking it, that hadn't even crossed my mind. I'd have looked for a junked mower to steal a real carb from long before drastic measures :eek:.

Thank you for the insight I:I.

This deserves a little bit of
GREEN !!!
I:I I:I I:I​

Thanks for the rep! This is a realy common carb kit. I think even some Lowe's stores carry it. Now as fas as just buying a gasket, Briggs quit selling the individual parts years ago. I think they figured it was easier to just sell one whole kit as opposed to several different variations of basically the same thing.

I will say you can get just a gasket and diaphragm without buying the whole 5083 kit (the kit includes a new main jet strainer screen and a new fuel pump spring), but when all's said and done the price will be about the same. Plus its a whole lot easier to find a 5083 kit than the gasket/diaphragm set.

This has given me motivation to tear it apart tomorrow. No Lowes in town but got Cheapo Depot and Tractor Supply. If they have nothing there has to be at least one decent mower shop (kinda new to area). Hopefully straight edge will tell if warped.

A straight edge should do the trick. Most of the warped carburetors I see are on engines which are several years old and/or have been worked on before. Ethanol is the main cause of this...it reacts with the plastic carburetor body over time and can cause it to swell up and warp. You likely just have a pinched or damaged diaphragm since the carb in question is on such a new engine, and Im sure you'll find out for sure soon enough.

One more thing: The first two digits of the CODE number on a Briggs and Stratton engine will give you the year of manufacture, followed by the month, day and assembly plant info. For example, an engine with a date code of 02120823 was built in 2002, in December, on the 8th day of the month.

BINGO !!

Looking at carb left rearmost screw was loose, and that's right where diaphram was pinched too. Even though low hrs, carb does looked a little warped.

Also, how is that cast carb bottom held to tank? Also, where are these engines assembled?

BINGO !!

Looking at carb left rearmost screw was loose, and that's right where diaphram was pinched too. Even though low hrs, carb does looked a little warped.

Also, how is that cast carb bottom held to tank? Also, where are these engines assembled?

Glad you found the problem! The aluminum "flange" is actually part of the fuel tank. It is just machined flat to accomodate the fuel pump diaphragm for the carburetor. The tank is made in two pieces, with the two halves rollled together at the edges and sealed tight during manufacturing. The carburetor itself is all plastic except for the throttle plate, air bleed, and a little ball used to plug a hold made when molding. They can look a little warped and often still work.

As far as I know, these engines were/are still made in America. Milwaukee, I think, though Briggs probably sources the parts from all over the nation.