Braaap's Shiny New Stick

Braaaptor

Dec 1, 2009
Hamlet, NC
Well, I got the surprise of the year for my birthday yesterday! Although I recieved a couple cool things from other people, my wife outdid them all when she got me this: :D

photobucket-26109-1360256940009_zps2b238d71.jpg

A Hurst short-throw shifter kit for my truck! I rushed out to install it the moment I had it unwrapped. I still need to find the proper Hurst boot for it, but the small boot sent in the kit, combined with a cut-up stock boot works OK for now.

For those who don't know, I drive a 2004 Chevy Silverado 1500, and had been trying to find an aftermarket shifter for some time. Hurst used to make a shorty shifter kit for the truck, but I had given up hope of ever finding one. The original 391-0122 part number has been discontinued as of several years ago. Come to find out, there is a company out of Texas called Core Shifters, which is reproducing them out of genuine Hurst parts. Pretty cool way to kick off my 23rd year of life, if I do say so myself. B)

sweeeeet !

and happy belated b-day !!!!!

sweeeeet !

and happy belated b-day !!!!!

Thanks!

Shifter made a world of difference over the clunky stock unit and its worn plastic housing. I can now pop from second to third with just a flick of the wrist.

Just as long as my horny wife doesn't study that smooth black ball at the end of a long stick and get any kinky ideas, we'll be good. :eek: :D

That was a lucky find.

Yes it was!

Here's Core's page on ebay if anybody else is looking for a custom shifter. They are re-making all kinds of once-discontinued Hurst shifters, for a variety of vehicles.

Hurst Shifter ROUND Bar Chrome Stick 1969 69 Camaro Firebird Trans Am Z28 COPO items in Core-Shifters store on eBay!

And here's one of the original kits I could no longer find, up for sale for WAY too much:

Hurst Short Throw Shifter 1999 2007 Silverado Seirra | eBay

The Core-built shifter is claimed to be sturdier than the original design. Time will tell. My truck is a work truck, so it will be tested. Thoroughly.

Last edited by a moderator:
I want one for my truck now! lol Seems a little expensive for me though unfortunatly. Be sure to get some vids of you chirpin through some gears I:I

I want one for my truck now! lol Seems a little expensive for me though unfortunatly. Be sure to get some vids of you chirpin through some gears I:I

Yeah, they are a bit pricey....the Core shifters are about $ 250.00 for this truck...but I'd say its money well-spent.

Will do, on the vid! Though it will be a little while. The truck sounds terrible at the moment. I had to tear out the foam insulator gasket between the tranny and cab while installing the shifter. Gotta order a new one, if only to block out all the road noise. (Amazing how big of a difference a thick piece of foam rubber can make!) Plus, my truck made its way up all kinds of rough and rocky slopes on Awk Mountain last year (and through a particularly nasty mud hole) without incident. Then, a few days ago, I hit a hidden tree stump in my own front yard and knocked my exhuast loose! :eek: Darn irony. After I get my exhuast leak fixed, I'll pull out the camera. lol

i dont care about the exhaust leak! When mines paid off im ging to run dual straights!(maybe)

hmmm, might have to try it with mine a awk mountain. As long as i dont break nothing. lol

That legal where you live?

Legal or not, straight (drag) pipes don't sound good IMO, especially when set up so that each bank of cylinders has its own pipe. Especially on a V-6 engine. A 2-into-1 exhaust fed into a moderately-restrictive muffler sounds much better and will boost low-end torque. I:I

I'm with Braaptor. I used to have a 2003 Silverado with a 4.3, I swapped the muffler for a flowmaster (don't remember what series) and had a turn down just after the muffler. It sounded awesome without being obnoxious or poppy, increased power and gave a lot of ground clearance for the trucks 6" drop.

Why would you want to spend twice the money and have twice the weight on your exhaust? Even if you size the mufflers & pipes small enough to have adequate back pressure people will still know it's a 4.3 as soon as they meet you at a stop light. Run a split dual if you must and save yourself some $. I only know this because I wasted a lot of money on that truck, I went through a couple of really obnoxious exhaust systems before I ended up at something reasonable.

Why would you want to spend twice the money and have twice the weight on your exhaust? Even if you size the mufflers & pipes small enough to have adequate back pressure people will still know it's a 4.3 as soon as they meet you at a stop light. Run a split dual if you must and save yourself some $. I only know this because I wasted a lot of money on that truck, I went through a couple of really obnoxious exhaust systems before I ended up at something reasonable.

I dont care if people know its the 4.3, as long as it sounds decent its cool with me. I know my friend who has y piped straights with cats(4.3 as well) sounds just like my grandpas 4.8 with dual straights with cats.