Bottom End...New Problems?

mikeyd23

Aug 8, 2010
Buffalo, New York
Well upon stripping my new toy the 99 Blaster down to go through it this is what the botton end revealed (see pic). Does this damage mean a new crank?

29liuqd.jpg

Not only new crank, but new seals and bearings through out. Better to just get a Vito's +3 Stroker crank for the extra $30. New bearings and seals might run ya $50 for the whole motor. make sure when you rebuild it, you inspect the cases and soak them in Mineral spirits and clean up really good....
Once you get it back together, make sure your jetting isnt lean or that there are no leaks what so ever. All new gaskets as well (Reed, cylinder, head, clutch cover, flywheel cover gaskets) For safety, get new piston and rings (Wiseco). Make sure you have your air filter clean and oiled with AIR FILTER OIL! Fill your case up with some really good high quality motorcycle oil, i recommend Bel Ray Gear Saver 75W. Hope this helps. Make sure to check out some videos on youtube to kinda guide you through. Also a Service manual would be a good way to go..

There is a link that ive watched numerous of times to guide me through my rebuild....although its not the best source.

Last edited by a moderator:
yeah its definitely crank time.

i'll be posting a DIY soon about how to split cases and put them back together

I figured as much...the top end is getting a rebuild as well. So I guess the bottom end might as well too. I have the Yamaha FSM and a pretty good understanding of what needs to be done my question is should I attempt to do it myself which I prefer. I have read about bearings needing to be pressed in but in some video's they just freeze them to fit them in. As far as specialty tools I need what is the best source and which are a must have. Any other tips would be appreciated as I embark on the Blaster rebuild.

ii ordered my tools from rockymountainatv

tusk clutch holder
tusk crank installer

and i just use and automotive harmonic balancer puller to pull it apart

I just heated the cases in the oven and put the bearings in the freezer and they dropped right in. your manual should go over how to do that. (temps and everything)

I did it myself with no problems. I just bought all the right tools. don't forget flywheel puller def need one of those. all I had was a manual and I didn't have this site at the time. that would have made it much easier. \

any clue what caused those gouges to the crank?

Not sure what damaged the crank...bought the Blaster for $200 minus the piston and rings in the head...the kid said they were bad...I assume the piston blew apart and caused the damage. I figured what the hell a Blaster with no motor for $200=a good project. The jug is nice not gouged up at all probably take it to get it checked out just to be sure.
Here is as she sits now...poor Blaster also needs swingarm bearings and an airbox lid (or maybe not!)

2cmslef.jpg

oh. I thought you had melted it down. I was looking forward to an interesting story.
that is a must on the engine bolt kit the stock bolts suck all those philips #3's get stripped out pretty easy and the stock bolt are really soft.

another good thing to remember is to take lotsa pics, takes pics of everything as u are doing it, so if u have any ???? on where something went, u can just look thru ur pics and see how it went