blew it up....

Have you ever rode a stroked, 240, ported blaster? If you buy a used 450 and it blows up you better have a big budget for rebuild!

Have you ever rode a stroked, 240, ported blaster? If you buy a used 450 and it blows up you better have a big budget for rebuild!

no I haven't but I guarantee it wont really be much faster than a 250r. even the 250r I seem to have to rev out a lot in the sand. the sand really takes about half of the power away of what you already have, its just hard on a small displacement aircooled engine. banshee or 450 is really the only way to go in the sand

there is a few big ones, there is some nasty hill climbs at sandlakes that it couldint make it up. it just constantly gets hot in the sand, its just spinning and it seems I have to keep it full throttle all the time to even keep up. I just need more power for what I ride. I was looking at a 400ex with a crf 450r motor on CL. did you see that one?

Are you geared at 14/40? If so, run 13/40 in the sand with paddles, makes a huge difference. If you port and head mod, you double the power of the Blaster engine and won't have any problems!

That advice I posted is from someone who has owned a 240 +3 stroker. I had plenty of different setups on it. A 400EX with a CRF engine would be plenty of fun! That's ALOT of power! Start throwing mods at that and you'll be doing wheelies up the dunes!

Are you geared at 14/40? If so, run 13/40 in the sand with paddles, makes a huge difference. If you port and head mod, you double the power of the Blaster engine and won't have any problems!

yea I run 13/40. I love blasters, there great quads and rip in the trails but its just I don't really wanna drop over 1k into it just to have the power of barely a 250r. I just need something different. I may still keep the blaster but I forsure need something else like banshee or 450, just something watercooled. I mean the blaster is a aircooled machine. with more power comes more heat.

And the people who have posted in this thread about the 450's also haven't owned them. I can do my top end just as cheap as a Banshee top end. And less often.

I think what is happening here is you expect an unported blaster to be a hill shooting machine.

no I didn't, even the 250r isint a hill shooting machine. from what I have read a ported stroked blaster should be around the same power a 250r. and I rode the 250 all weekend. I kinda just want a 450r or a stockish 250r. just something that will rip in the dunes and trails. like ive said a few times the sand is just extremely hard on the engine and takes all the power away pretty much. a aircooled motor just isint much of a duner. not trying to start a war here just saying I need something with plenty of power and some to spare.

If it was me i would get a kawasaki kfx450r, it has reverse.
A stock 250r is good for about 36hp. I spent a lot of time on one when i was a kid and it sucked in the tight trails but when we were racing on the dirt roads around my camp it was AWESOME fast. The 250r would walk right buy my stockish blaster and my other buds 300ex. The 300ex was the better one for the tight trails.
I think the last time i rode the 250r was back in 1998, so i cant compare it to the CT240 with 4mm stroker i got now!

OLD pic!

Last edited:
TRX250R's are great quads. Problem is, not that great for tight technical trails, parts are expensive and sometimes discontinued, and good luck finding one in good shape with a frame that hasn't been fatigued for 30 years. That many years on a hard ridden race quad that vibrates like a out of balance blender does it's damage. People here get tired of my preaching I'm sure but it's impossible to beat the TRX450R for reliability and range of uses. You can build it so it is in the 60HP range and still have it fly on trails. It's good for everything unless it you build it specifically for ONE thing. Like my R, all MX tuned so it doesn't fit on all trails or have a high top speed. But when I get on the track, see yah! A 450R can do everything well and one thing EXCELLENT when built properly. If you were to get a TRX450R, throw the big 3 at it (pipe, cam, intake) it will walk all over most other quads if you can ride.

I need to put my new top end on still. The one that's in it is running and has a mild port job but it's at 68 mm with a forged Wiseco. I'll pull it in the next week or so and let you know how it looks, last time I pulled it it was in great shape but that was a few months ago.

TRX250R's are great quads. Problem is, not that great for tight technical trails, parts are expensive and sometimes discontinued, and good luck finding one in good shape with a frame that hasn't been fatigued for 30 years. That many years on a hard ridden race quad that vibrates like a out of balance blender does it's damage. People here get tired of my preaching I'm sure but it's impossible to beat the TRX450R for reliability and range of uses. You can build it so it is in the 60HP range and still have it fly on trails. It's good for everything unless it you build it specifically for ONE thing. Like my R, all MX tuned so it doesn't fit on all trails or have a high top speed. But when I get on the track, see yah! A 450R can do everything well and one thing EXCELLENT when built properly. If you were to get a TRX450R, throw the big 3 at it (pipe, cam, intake) it will walk all over most other quads if you can ride.

what do you mean by cam? like a hotcam or something? sorry I only know 2 strokes lol

I need to put my new top end on still. The one that's in it is running and has a mild port job but it's at 68 mm with a forged Wiseco. I'll pull it in the next week or so and let you know how it looks, last time I pulled it it was in great shape but that was a few months ago.

if its still in good shape let me know. I would be interested for sure. I:I