blew it up....

89blaster89

Aug 26, 2011
Pacific northwest, washington
well I think I just need a different quad for my riding style, the blaster has absolutely no power in the dunes, cant even compare to anything else. I love the blaster for trails but it has no power in the sand, I rode a friends 450 and it just hauls. anyways, I was going down the beach doing a few small climbs and just messing around then I went to hold it wide open and pop a wheelie and it just bogged and died, its seized and metal is all over the plug :( so I think I may just rebuild and sell idk yet. this just sucks, ill probally be posting pics when I tear into it in a few days

on the bright side I got to ride my dads 250r the rest of the weekend

well I think I just need a different quad for my riding style, the blaster has absolutely no power in the dunes, cant even compare to anything else. I love the blaster for trails but it has no power in the sand, I rode a friends 450 and it just hauls. anyways, I was going down the beach doing a few small climbs and just messing around then I went to hold it wide open and pop a wheelie and it just bogged and died, its seized and metal is all over the plug :( so I think I may just rebuild and sell idk yet. this just sucks, ill probally be posting pics when I tear into it in a few days

My blasty just took a crap too, lol i went to majestic trails in pa and i got water and mud in the motor and it destroyed the rings. Lol the plug even had a lil mud on it haha. But it does suck man, i feel it.

Well it probably wasn't making that much power cause the cylinder wasn't ported. Question is why did it seize. Excessive piston to cylinder clearance? Air leak? Jetting?

yes of course, I warmed it up nicely, idled for a few minutes, then went through the gears, I baby this thing. even ported it wouldn't climb these dunes I guarantee it. I will test for airleaks before tear down, but the last time I checked it was leak free and it had a 350 main jet in and I was running at sea level right on the ocean. it had 155 psi compression, it wasn't seized right when it quit, at first I could still kick it and I could hear the rod flopping around. but then after kicking it a few times it seized. a chunk of piston probally is in the way now. ill be tearing it down sometime this week

You could rebuild it and port it and blah blah blah but in the end, what are you going to have invested and what will you have? Sure it will have a fresh top end, porting, and a nice new motor but in the end it is still a Blaster. The value for these things SUCKS! You'll be lucky if you get the money back that you put into the rebuild and building the motor. If it were me, I'd go after a 450R for all the reasons you listed.

You could rebuild it and port it and blah blah blah but in the end, what are you going to have invested and what will you have? Sure it will have a fresh top end, porting, and a nice new motor but in the end it is still a Blaster. The value for these things SUCKS! You'll be lucky if you get the money back that you put into the rebuild and building the motor. If it were me, I'd go after a 450R for all the reasons you listed.

that's what I was planning. even a ported 240 stroker couldint climb these dunes or widow makers, it just wont happen, the blaster is fun in the trails but in the sand the motor is really working hard and getting very hot.

Weren't you running the same piston in that thing for like six years? I feel your pain but couple hundred bucks is a small investment to keep riding. Also if you get that thing dialed there isn't a dune in Oregon that will stop it, I've tested this theory on my girl's Blaster. Get it fixed and start saving for a quad (or even better, a bike) with more power.

I was going down the beach doing a few small climbs and just messing around then I went to hold it wide open and pop a wheelie and it just bogged and died, its seized and metal is all over the plug :( so I think I may just rebuild and sell idk yet. this just sucks, ill probally be posting pics when I tear into it in a few days

BUMMER DUDE! Sorry to hear Bro!

I see a lot of guys at the Oregon dunes climbing and running tree shots on Blasters, no they aren't rollin' with the 450's, but ported and rechambered Blasters are very capable!

Weren't you running the same piston in that thing for like six years? I feel your pain but couple hundred bucks is a small investment to keep riding. Also if you get that thing dialed there isn't a dune in Oregon that will stop it, I've tested this theory on my girl's Blaster. Get it fixed and start saving for a quad (or even better, a bike) with more power.

there is a few big ones, there is some nasty hill climbs at sandlakes that it couldint make it up. it just constantly gets hot in the sand, its just spinning and it seems I have to keep it full throttle all the time to even keep up. I just need more power for what I ride. I was looking at a 400ex with a crf 450r motor on CL. did you see that one?