Blaster sputters and dies.

generallee69

Sep 1, 2008
Nevada
I can get my 89 blaster to kind of start with starting fluid but not on gas alone. I have pulled and cleaned the carb. I have reset the air mixture screw. I drained the gas and replaced with fresh gas. I previously had an issue with the oil pump not working and the Blaster had run for 2 days without oil pumping to it before it stopped. I cleaned the gunk out of oil pump and is working fine. I could still start the engine at this point and it would run good. I stupidly thought I would put a little bit of 2 cycle oil in with the gas to help lube top end. After about 1/2 hour of lightly playing on it, the engine just sputtered and now I cannot get it to run normally.

check your plug. sounds like you may have fouled it.

if i were in your shoes, i would pull the drive gear off the oil pump and start mixing 32:1.. i would say something like "it will fail on you sooner or later", but it's already failed on you once...

i would agree except that it ran for a period of time and the last change mentioned before it started having these issues was adding oil to the fuel tank with the oil injection enabled... depending on how much oil he added to the tank and how full the tank was, he could be running along the lines of a 20:1 mixture..

question.. how much is "a little bit" of oil and how full was the tank

oil block off, check plug, check your piston and rings and compression, go to your nearest nappa or autozone pick up a measuring cup and some 2 cycle oil and premix.. id say 32:1 or 40:1 if it seems its running rich

i had the exact problem. ran to much oil because i decided to up the oil in the mixture from what i normaly run, so too much, fowled my plug, and i cleaned it and it was sparking, but i didnt realize it wasnt sparking correctly. so just got a new plug, leaned out the gas to my old mix and it ran perfect.

hope that helps.

I only mixed maybe 2 to 4 ounces of oil with a full tank of gas. I was only trying to help lube the top end a little because it had run without oil for a while. I have cleaned the spark plug and has a good spark. I didn't know if putting the oil directly with the fuel had effect on the carb or not. I will try some other things this weekend. Thanks for all the help.

oil goes directly with the fuel even when your using oil injection. what do you think it does? the pump pumps oil from the resevoir into a inlet on the carb that mixes with the gas and air mixture. thats why you do a oil block off and run premixed gas/oil so you know its always geting oil, unlike the sh*ty oil injection pump.