Blaster piston lads!!!!!

blastermad

Oct 30, 2011
Monaghan ,IRELAND
bought a wee blaster the other day and i bought it with the bottom of the piston broke and of course when it did that it filled the bottom end so i split the bottom end and got all the bits out ,but i got a genuine yamaha ART piston today for it and it says on the top of the piston 50,not .50 or 0.50 it just says 50 ,it seems a wee bit tight when i put it into my head so im thinking i need it bored,can yous boys tell me is 50 over sized??it says on the box code:2XJ-11636-01 and in the inside of the piston the code is:37F01,so whats the story,pm me lads or what ever,thanks.......

yea but the boy who does my bore work does all rally car engines so i need too now my self the right size too get it bored and what excatly size is that piston....

If the skirt of the piston has broke, it may have been caused by a sloppy bore. Have the bore measured.

Good way to see what size the piston is is to get your boy to measure it!

yea lad ,thats what i was thinking but the piston came out of it is art as well and dosnt say any thing on the top of it but its loose in it,and i measured my old piston to day with the vernier calipers and the new piston i got is bigger but there again it reads 66m ,i duno what the story is ,its strange,if i could find out does that 50 mean over size or what and if it does i will have 2 find out what i need it bored out too and go get it done...

yea and if he bores it wrong thats the piston no use 2 me so if i get the exact size 2 bore it and tell him then sure he cant go wrong,if i found out what 50 is am flying....

Your solution has been answered a few times correctly. It must be measured by the machinist to get it right and not one of us guessing what size that piston is. Any decent shop will not bore it wrong.

yes and thats a person who bores quad barrels every day,this boy that does all my work builds rally car engines every day and he wouldnt have a clue what size its ment 2 be bored out too so i thought all yous blaster men would no at least what 50 means as i never really worked at them!!

50 could mean just about anything from my age ( I wish ) to the times a piston reaches the top of the stroke a minute.

What every one is trying to say is, take the piston to the guy that does the boring and trust him to do the right thing.

When you find out what your boy bores to, you will be able to work out if 50 means something.
If you do please report back and let us know for our info, so we can put the info in our memory banks.

thanks lads for the replys,i got it bored today and put all in and got it goin,seems ok but havnt opened her out yet,just runing her in,the wee yoke is standerd,wel just bored out,i was going 2 keep the quad just too have,what work can you do that you will have good power reliability,a exhaust and jets i suppose?? ,yous boys would no who works at them?....

Make sure you do proper break in, heat cycles and then re torque before you ride it!

Start it up and let it run until it gets to operating temp, then let it cool for 30 mins. Do this 5 times then re tighten head bolts.

Ride a couple of tanks of gas through at no more than 3/4 throttle, then let it rip.

It is recomended that you do a leak down test if you have removed the carby and reed block.

let the members here what your expectations are for the bike and where and what conditions you ride in, and they will be more than happy to share the ideal setup for you.

Last edited:
yea i no the craic,theres some people havnt a clue,what pipe and jets would yous boys recommend too get more power?i dont wnat 2 spend a big all on it as its only a blaster at the end of the day so i wouldnt want that fancy of a pipe but what does yous think?..

Depends. You racing or woods or? FMF for low end power. Can be had cheap from ebay.
Toomey, DMC alien for top end power.
If you're planning on porting or a 240kit get yourself a LRD/F7/powerpros.

If you're getting stuff off ebay email the sender and get him to state the price as $20 or else the Irish customs charges you an extra €50 on delivery.

I have a few jets if you need some I can send them your way.

just some thing with down low power for wheeling and that,i wont be racing it ,ihave a 660 raptor as wel but a wee blaster is nice and light and handy,much would you get a pipe for or even a can and a set of jets be?even second hand,pm me much you want for them lad,thanks....