Blaster Meltdown

Daryl Schmitz

Aug 29, 2016
Carnage from this last weekend riding. To me it looks like it was lean got hot and melted down, but i would like your opinions also. Here is a little rundown of the engine. Its a vitos 240 tripple exhaust port jug & head with the forged piston. Im also running the 3mm stuffer crank and 4 degree timing key by vitos. The exhaust is vitos fat basterd pipe and silencer. It has a pwk 35mm non air striker carb hooked to the factory reed cage with boysen reeds. Im running a k&n cone filter on the carb. I put a new clutch in it and ground the rod back flat and tappered the edge. I have the oil block off kit installed also and i premix 32:1 All the parts were brand new and the motor was built by me. Every bearing seal and retainer was replaced in the engine and transmission. Long story short i jetted it when it was about 88 degrees out and it was good plug chop confirmed. well last weekend it was 47 degrees in the morning and i did not jet for it, and i was running a br8es (hotter) instead of the recommended br9es (cooler) the result is pictured.

Attachments

• 20171005_170736.jpg
    20171005_170736.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 115
  • 20171005_170812.jpg
    20171005_170812.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 144
Premix or still running the pump? Pictures look horrible of that piston. Something is going on in there. Bad jetting, air leak, not enough oil, wrong fuel, etc.

your quote:
I put a new clutch in it and ground the rod back flat and tappered the edge.

You should never ever grind either of the push rods flat or to remove the damage. You are removing material that is supposed to be there for proper clutch adjustment. There an $11 item that are constantly wearing out after lots of use. It may work but you are giving up a lot of adjustment that is supposed to be there.

Premix or still running the pump? Pictures look horrible of that piston. Something is going on in there. Bad jetting, air leak, not enough oil, wrong fuel, etc.

your quote:
I put a new clutch in it and ground the rod back flat and tappered the edge.

You should never ever grind either of the push rods flat or to remove the damage. You are removing material that is supposed to be there for proper clutch adjustment. There an $11 item that are constantly wearing out after lots of use. It may work but you are giving up a lot of adjustment that is supposed to be there.
As far as the clutch it has plenty of adjustment still. Only took off the bare minimum like ken O'Connor shows in his video. I believe it was running lean as the temp had dipped over 45 degrees since i last jetted it 2 weeks ago. I pre mix my oil as i have the block off kit installed. I mix 32:1. No air leak i did leak down test on my bench after i built it and after it blew up. As far as gas goes running 93 non ethanol mixed with yamalube 2r.

Attachments

• 20171005_170833.jpg
    20171005_170833.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 131
who are you going to have clean up the cylinder
did you suck up any water with your open cone filter
or get a tear in it on the trail then suck up pounds of liquid sandpaper lol

Reactions: Awk08
i can tell by your typing that you know what you are doing
alot of people do not recommend running a aircooled blaster
in like winter conditions/although i'm guilty of it too
although just by my house for a few minutes:)
edit:
how many hours did you get off of new top?

Last edited:
You said the carb is hooked I to the factory reeds......does that mean the factory rubber air boot??

The stock size is a 26, that 35 would be squeezing that thing wide open.... possibly making cracks or holes on the rubber causing an air leak.

who are you going to have clean up the cylinder
did you suck up any water with your open cone filter
or get a tear in it on the trail then suck up pounds of liquid sandpaper lol

Not sure who I'm going to get to clean it up yet. I don't know a lot of shops in North Carolina where I live, so I'm going to ask around. No holes or tears in the filter or cover. Never hit any water been dry here lately. I'm pretty sure I was just under jetted on the main jet for the temp. I did make like 5 hard pulls in a row down the tar road against a yz250 just seeing how I compared.

i can tell by your typing that you know what you are doing
alot of people do not recommend running a aircooled blaster
in like winter conditions/although i'm guilty of it too
although just by my house for a few minutes:)
edit:
how many hours did you get off of new top?

After the proper break in I got about 20hrs on it before it popped.

You said the carb is hooked I to the factory reeds......does that mean the factory rubber air boot??

The stock size is a 26, that 35 would be squeezing that thing wide open.... possibly making cracks or holes on the rubber causing an air leak.

It has the factory cage but I bought a new boot to accommodate the bigger carb.

Not sure who I'm going to get to clean it up yet. I don't know a lot of shops in North Carolina where I live, so I'm going to ask around. No holes or tears in the filter or cover. Never hit any water been dry here lately. I'm pretty sure I was just under jetted on the main jet for the temp. I did make like 5 hard pulls in a row down the tar road against a yz250 just seeing how I compared.

haha a blaster is a awesome 4 wheeler and my favorite.
A Yz250 THAT is some real power between your legso_O
Regardless in a straight line or not..:D
if you can handle a 50hp stock 2 stroke 2 wheels in my book
you are GOOD:)