Blaster has no spark... stator issue???

indianablaster

Sep 18, 2010
East Central Indiana
ok so i just took the blaster out for a quick run and as i was slowing down out of 5th gear and rolling to a stop before i turned out onto a road, i noticed that the engine sounded like it was about to die so i gave it some throttle to keep it going but it didnt sound good... anyway i was able to make it back but had to stay in 3rd gear without letting off the throttle and as i came to a stop in the garage and hit the kill switch it kinda just puttered out... now it won't start X( well i pulled the plug and it looks normal, not dripping with oil or white hot.... then i decided to check the spark so i held the plug while it was in the boot against the cylinder jug and on the first kick i saw a little spark, but when i tried it again and again nothing happened... i read a little about how the stator can go bad which causes a weak spark or no spark at all... i haven't done much testing but was wondering what you all thought... thanks for any help

To do a ghetto stator check turn on your lights and kick like a mofo and keep you plug out while you do it so you can just crank it like nothing and see if they glow a lil

Reactions: indianablaster
thanks for the reply.. i would try that but unfortunately don't have a working lightbulb... plus i took the assembly off a while ago;) but i still have it and i could get a lightbulb... any other ideas on how to check it?

not really without actually gettin a tester and hookin it up to the stator wires and seein if you got power someone else might know

ok well i started thinking to myself what about the tors system... i thought it had been disabled when i bought the blaster a year ago, but low and behold it was still hooked up... so i just went and made sure it was disabled thanks to jsparkys tutorialI:I now when i cranked it over to check for a spark there is a strong blue flash:D however, i instantly put the plug back in to fire it up and sounded like it was about to start but didn't, and then i kept kicking to no avail... so i probably flooded i think from testing the plugs spark... took the plug out and pushed it forward in gear to push some gas out the hole and now i am waiting a good 20min to make sure its not flooded before i try again... really hoping this works as i just spent my one day off last week replacing my axle bearings and was hoping to ride my next day off this week lol

ok well just went back out to try and start it and its a no go... i took the carb off and stuck my finger in the intake to check the reeds and they seem to be intact... so now it seems i know it has spark, gas, and air.... guess i need a compression tester.... it still seems to have the same amount of resistance that it did before when i try to kick it over, but i won't know for sure unless i test it... its still turning over smoothly, so im just stumped:-/

i thought that the killswitch would prevent any spark from happening, but i am getting spark... but i will look into it, thanks for the response.... i am starting to worry that it is either piston rings being fried (had been having trouble sealing the intake manifold) or like a head gasket or something to cause low compression but i have yet to verify it....

well i did a compression check and it was no good... like 45 psi... so i pulled the jug and this is what i found....

DSC00833.jpg

so what do you suggest i do now haha... the inside of the jug still looks ok, no big gashes from the busted ring... maybe just a hone and new piston and rings? never had to mess with a piston before so any help is awesome thanks!

i had the same problem i replaced the stator the cdi and the coil and found out it was the killswitch. there is a black/white wire on the cdi unplug it and see if it starts

Thank so much for this information you have saved me money and time.my blaster woulnt start ,had no spark.i was about to replace everything.i found this comment gave it a try disonnected the black/white wire and sure enough it fired right up.

Reactions: bummer981