Blaster Exhaust Pipe Question???

darederek

May 31, 2010
Greensburg
I am about to get a blaster that is completely stock except no oil injection and a faster front sprocket. It still has the stock exhaust on it so i want to save up to get an aftermarket. I ride in woods, on trails, and in some fields big enough to maybe hit 4th gear on. I would really like to gain as much bottom and mid as possible. Top end doesn't matter as much however a gain there would be nice too. I was looking at a shearer but have read about quality issues with it rusting and welds breaking. I would really like to minimize breaks. I am now looking at the dmc alien but no one really says where the gain in the powerband is. i am open to any suggestions but the cheaper the better. I am only planning to do minor mods in the near future. no head work or big bores maybe just some reeds. Also if possible can you tell me what size jet to use with the pipe that you recommend and why you recommend it. I live in western Pennsylvania and will probably do some winter riding. All recommendations are appreciated. Thank you

Shearer is supposed to be the best trail pipe but a lot of people are having fitment and quality problems, you're better off going with a bigger name. Since you're Blaster is basically stock a FMF or Toomey would work great for you

my shearer is very durable. however, it had fitment issues.

if i got it to fit then you certainly could. your next best bet for a pipe would be a powerpros pipe.

remember you will have to rejet your carb when you get a new pipe.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the quick replies guys! Okay sorry to be asking what you probably think r stupid questions but can i get spark arrestors for the right bend pipes that you guys are talking about or can you get a spark arrestor for the shearer. I really do like the sound of the shearer and where people say the powerband is but i am still worried about breakage. Also can someone explain the difference of a right bend, like will it get in the way more while kicking over riding etc. and will it be more beneficial to mods and such over something like a dmc alien which i think is my choice for a left bend. Also, can someone walk me through rejetting. I have read about getting a new plug then makeing a pass full throttle sixth gear, but i have no where to hit sixth gear, i am lucky to hit the bottom end of fifth. Can i just get a jet size recommended by the pipe manufacturer and go with it? could i call someone and run them through the bike and they tell me what jet to get? Thanks in advance

also guys what do you think about getting a used exhaust. i may need to settle for a fmf or dg and such or maybe i'll find a toomey buy there is a quad salvage yard and if i can get it cheap i would rather get it there. is there any signs of damage i should look for before i purchase?

dg = dont get, they suck

i have no problems with my shearer and the power is right now!

as long as you mount the shearer correct you will have no problems

what exactly do you mean by "mount it right". do you have to do something special? if it is just doing something the right way i will get that cause the price is right

I just replaced a dynoport that replaced a LRD with a shearer(I like pipes). Pipe went right on with no problems. The only thing I did was add a spacer to the silencer mounting bolt. Just for alittle bit more shock clearance, it wasn't hitting but just making sure.

so if it is close to the rear shock i can just add some washers or a rubber spacer to the silencer mount and it will pull it away? also from the dynoport and the lrd and the shearer what is your opinion on the three. where do they add the power in the powerband?

I think Toomey is the best sounding.Sound is a big thing with me.I have an FMF on my Blaster for now.Why?$65 used.As for DG.Go get your stock pipe chromed.Same thing.There is no one top dog pipe.Just many good ones.

@dakotademon
That would be great to get a pip for $65. That would be an instant sell. I had heard that about dg's before so i was staying away. And i like the sound of toomeys but i hear that they take away from the bottom end ant take it to the top and i want more bottom end

For our purpose, which is mx, the shearer is the best of the 3 I have tried. It did make a very noticable differance in throttle response...very snappy.

@dakotademon
That would be great to get a pip for $65. That would be an instant sell. I had heard that about dg's before so i was staying away. And i like the sound of toomeys but i hear that they take away from the bottom end ant take it to the top and i want more bottom end

check out ebay for a used pipe. they always pop up here in the for sale sections as well. i bought my shearer used.

where are all the f7 posse...... freek! awk! noober, and all you other f7 lovers get some support in here.
f7 pipe sounds like a mean old dirt bike, its rightbend so you get a little better airflow so less heat [i said a little], is said to have the best power through the range of all pipes out there not just power in one spot, well priced, good looking, not too bad to fit either,
there are probably other names i dont know but the f7 pipe is the same thing as powerpros and trinity but you get the silencer coloured to suit your bike, check on the project blaster site.