Blaster bogs/will not start

mrw105

Apr 4, 2008
Marietta PA
Hey guys. i just picked up a 99 blaster today. the motor was just rebuilt with one hour of ride time before i bought it. when it was rebuilt it was jetted for a paul turner mid pipe with fat boy exhaust, and a uni filter with no lid. but when i bought it it had the stock expansion pipe installed but is still jetted for the aftermarket pipe. i brought it home and i ran it but it would cut out and die in 5th,6th, and if you didnt rev the snot out of it to start going. anyways it died on me and now i cannot get it started again. when i kick it it attempts to start but will not rev up or idle it will just back down and die. i know the main is in the 290 range, and the air/fuel is 2 complete turns out. not sure on pilot. i have plenty of spark, great compression, and am getting fuel, but i believe i maybe be getting too much fuel? im totally stumped. i have the paul turner header but i dont have the flange or springs to install it, so i have to run stock header. do you think the jetting is what is causing my problems?

spark plug is probably fouled from all that fuel.

a 290 is too rich for a stock head pipe and airbox lid on.

Take the plug out, kick it 20 or so times with the throttle closed to help clear the buildup of fuel. Let it stand for about 30 mins.

Bring the main back to a #250, stock pilot #32.5 and air screw out 1 1/12 turns.

Put in a new b8es plug and try again.

Do a plug chop to make sure you have it right.

aight so i took your guys advise and checked out the jets. upon tearing it apart, i realized the main is a 230, i guess at my first quick glance i swore it was a 290. pilot is a 32.5, adjusted to 1 and 1/2 turns out. i have installed a new plug as well. i try to start it but it will not start up. it will only fire when the fuel petcock is turned off and is barely has fuel, but will not stay running it will just instantly die.when the fuel is turned on, it acts like it is completely dead. i did notice that after 10 seconds of turning the petcock on gas will leak out of the line off the bottom of the bowl of the carburetor. im sure thats an issue within itself.

The gas leaking out of the carb is most likely due to the floats being stuck inside, or the float valve stuck open. While you have the carb off, it wouldn't hurt to give the reeds a check and make sure they aren't broken or warped. They are known to cause it to bog and only run with the pretty much wide open if they are broke.

the floats need set to 20-21.5mm measured like this.........

4785-float-height.jpg

bend the center tab that the needle hangs on to adjust either way, till the desired float height is reached, i'd also pull the float pin and give the needles rubber tip a good look, if it's torn or worn, it'll need replaced, clean the brass part it rides in good too, and give it another try

The gas leaking out of the carb is most likely due to the floats being stuck inside, or the float valve stuck open. While you have the carb off, it wouldn't hurt to give the reeds a check and make sure they aren't broken or warped. They are known to cause it to bog and only run with the pretty much wide open if they are broke.

this was my first guess next to the TORS (which i cut right after it quit on me the first time) i checked the reeds and they were fine from what i could tell. no cracks, warps or distortion.

as for awk, thanks for the float write up. i most likely figured it was out of adjustment or had a pinhole leak in it. ill get it set up correctly on wednesday.

check the floats by submersing them in fuel in a clear cup, and watch for bubbles
you can aslo shake them and listen/feel for fuel in them

did you completely remove all the tors, and the "brain" under the hood ???

i just cut the wires off the carb, and out of the throttle lever. i recall seeing a black box up front then a silver box with 12v sticker on it. i dont think i disconnected either of them.

you need to diconnect the tors brain under the hood too,
it will be a 3 wire black box on the shifter side
the other 5 wire box is the cdi, they are located right on top of one another, i believe the tors is the top one

its most likey still there. ill check it out when i get the chance. because i remember going in to do a donut and it just cut out and died on me. then started up like 10 minutes later. now it wont even stay started. if this is my problem im gonna be real happy and feel stupid. lol

its most likey still there. ill check it out when i get the chance. because i remember going in to do a donut and it just cut out and died on me. then started up like 10 minutes later. now it wont even stay started. if this is my problem im gonna be real happy and feel stupid. lol

the only stupid questions are the ones that don't get asked,
i'd still say you have a float problem,
check them reed valves again too
report back your findings

Last edited:
will do. ill check it out on wednesday when i have some free time. ill recheck everything and get back to you guys. thanks for all the help!

will do. ill check it out on wednesday when i have some free time. ill recheck everything and get back to you guys. thanks for all the help!

marietta PA, ha,
gotta get together with a bunch of us PA boys and ride sometime !!!!

So i got a few minutes to check this puppy out. I did not get a chamce to check the float level or reeds again, but i did check the tors. I have an 04 frame/harness so i bypassed the tors by splicing the yellow an black wire together near the ecu plug. No difference. Ill try to get back on it tonight and chek the reeds and adjust the float as well. Thanks for all the input.

An awk, im down for riding anytime. Once i get this blaster running. If it was just a stocker id have sold it already. But the only thing stock on this thing is the swingarm...lol

pull the magneta and see if theres any water in it and check the stator to mine did that once

Ill check the stator etc. Tonight. As for the tors wires awk, i think i didnt clarify on the wires. I spliced the yellow/black wire with the black wire. If theres more i have to do then i missed it. Lol

Ill check the stator etc. Tonight. As for the tors wires awk, i think i didnt clarify on the wires. I spliced the yellow/black wire with the black wire. If theres more i have to do then i missed it. Lol

there are 2 sets that need sliced together, the ones from the carb unit, and the ones from the throttle switch

the diy posted above shows them in the pics

Wow im sorry i totally missed the carb wires having to be spliced. Blonde moment...lol. This is my fourth blaster an ive Owned two shees and removed the tors on everyone of them. This one for some reason all my logic went Out the window. Lol