Battery

lilbeeblaster

Oct 24, 2011
GA
i just bought a 96 blaster that runs pretty good for the low low. I want to redo it. I started taking the plastics off and notice there isnt a battery in sight anywhere. the last owner lost the key once and cut the ignition wires to start it. he found the keys later but never wired it back. my question is how is it starting without a battery? Shud i put it back the way it was or just leave it how it is as far as without a battery?

i just bought a 96 blaster that runs pretty good for the low low. I want to redo it. I started taking the plastics off and notice there isnt a battery in sight anywhere. the last owner lost the key once and cut the ignition wires to start it. he found the keys later but never wired it back. my question is how is it starting without a battery? Shud i put it back the way it was or just leave it how it is as far as without a battery?

there is no battery in a blaster.. the old owner did not remove a battery because there was no battery to begin with

x2 on that, most 2 strokes don't have batteries

but you can rewire the key, it's just a 2 wire killswitch like the on on the bars

Blaster's use an A/C (alternating current) source coil and a CDI ignition system to fire. The source coil generates all of the voltage needed for each fire event during each revolution of the engine.

Lighting is handled in a similar manner, an A/C lighting coil generates electricity to power the headlight and taillight.

The key switch is a grounding system (with no switch installed the CDI will run the blasty but you'd have no way to stop it :)) so unhooked, it will still run.

If you have the key and the switch is functioning properly (normally open closed in the "off" position) then you can hook the two switch wires to one black wire with a white stripe and one all black wire (all black wires with white stripes are "kill" wires under the hood on a 88-02 blasty and all black wires are grounds) and then the key switch should function as intended.

thanks blaster bros. im new to the 2 strokes. whn i had one i was too young to and wild to worry about a battery. i just kick and rode the hell out of my dirt bike. This is for my 12 yr old. Thanks guys. u saved me from looking like a fool in front of my boy.

When I bought my boys Blaster from a guy that had had it for 7 years from new, he told me to remember to turn off the key or the battery would go flat.

I smirked and replied that,s why it started so easily when you kicked it, but it made me worry about just what had I just bought, had he maintained it properly. Turned out to be an excellent buy.