Base gasket

Dan Coburn

Jul 3, 2017
Hello, thanks for having me, this is my first post. I just got a blaster for free, unsure of year. It's solid teal, even the seat with a silver frame. This bike was sitting in a big blackberry bush and the owner let me take it home, it was his kids who no longer live there. I dumped a little gas in the tank, pulled the choke and it started second kick. But, it's blowing exauhst from the base gasket. I went and got a new one from the Yamaha shop, my question is should I re ring it and hone the cylinder while it's apart?

This thing has sat for 10 plus years so I know I will clean the carb and such. I only ran it for a minute or two, just seeing if it would start or not. The tires are no good but I picked up two dico fastrackers on aluminum rims for $50 today for the rear, the fronts hold air but are checked bad.

And what do you think about all these $60 top end kits on Amazon and eBay?? Complete with a new jug!

Thanks guys it's my first blaster and I'm excited to hear what you all have to say.

Those cheap kits you see on amazon,ebay, etc are junk. Do not buy them imo. I would pull the top end off and have a look at the piston, cylinder walls and go from there. You already have to pull the top end for the base gasket install. Are you shure it is blowing out the base gasket and not the exhaust flange close by?

Ok thanks. No cheap internet top end lol. I figured as much, never hurts to ask. I will definitely look everything over, but Even if all looks good I wonder if a quick hone and a set of rings would be appropriate. If the Piston is ok I don't see any reason to change it. But heck rings are cheap.

So anyone have an idea on the year?it's got the old square headlight and it's solid teal, Even the seat is teal. I did the check on the frame, but the first letter is hard to make out. I know it's the 10th digit, but I'm really not sure if the first one is a digit or a scratch. How many digits should there be total? Thanks guys, it's appreciated.

Weird, mine only ha 16.....

Attachments

• IMG_20170703_152006113_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20170703_152006113_HDR.jpg
    4.7 MB · Views: 121
Ok gotcha. Where the first two are scratched off I thought it was only one digit. Thanks!