bad reeds keep from starting??

turbogsrcivic

Jan 18, 2010
i have a 98 blaster i just picked up, it needed piston and rings, now the problem is it fires on starter fluid only did it once because i dont wanna run it dry, but it wont run on gas.. carb and jets are spotless, mixed fresh 93oct with 32.1 mix.. my reeds are in pretty bad shape and they are stuck open, i tried flipping them and still wont start.. any suggestions? thanks guys

check your reeds, mine wouldnt start with one missing for love nor money, it takes 2 seconds to check them, make sure they are flush with cage, and hold them up to the ligh, if theres gaps, there not much use :) when putting new ones on make sure you lock tite the screws, if its not your reeds i would definately check your compression I:I

would reed valves make it bog when you first start it up on the first start of the day even tho you let it warm up cuz mine bogs for the first few mins whethere its cold or warm on the first start of the day the after a few mins of no power band it takes off like a rocket till the next cold start

would reed valves make it bog when you first start it up on the first start of the day even tho you let it warm up cuz mine bogs for the first few mins whethere its cold or warm on the first start of the day the after a few mins of no power band it takes off like a rocket till the next cold start

that sounds normal to me Rusty as it take a few minutes to warm up and "clear out" the engine. not the reeds in your case

there was a video on youtube of a guy using a credit card in place of reeds and it actually fired up and he drove it around...I never take shortcuts on my engines though

there was a video on youtube of a guy using a credit card in place of reeds and it actually fired up and he drove it around...I never take shortcuts on my engines though

thats daves farm awsome vids.

my yz had broke reeds on one side just a lil brok and i had to full throotle it to fun right and if you let it idle for a while u have to crack the trottle to clear all the exces fuel out got need reed in the mail but sound like it is your reeds

i would get a full set, if one has gone and there all the same age chances are there shot, you can get a new full set of decent boyesen ones for £30, and thats over here in the uk shipped from US, so you should get them hella cheaper :)

Hey Guys,
I just picked up a 2001 Blaster last weekend. I was in my shop replacing the rings tonight and I noticed that a part of one of the Reeds was completely missing. The guy that I got this unit from said that he was experiencing problems with it fowling plugs. Could this possible be the cause?
Thanks!

Hey Guys,
I just picked up a 2001 Blaster last weekend. I was in my shop replacing the rings tonight and I noticed that a part of one of the Reeds was completely missing. The guy that I got this unit from said that he was experiencing problems with it fowling plugs. Could this possible be the cause?
Thanks!

seems people only sell claped out blasters...huh

the broken reed is not good so replace it and see if the plug is still fouling. I would suggest you give the blaster a very good once over