Back to the Dublife !

in your state can u run vanity plates on the front??? like put that plate on it?? that would be sweet I:I

yes-sir we can run vanity plates on the front,
PA only requires a rear plate.
although i won't be runnng the vF'nDub on the car. (remember, i'm older than your dad :eek: )
my bother-in-law runs an authentic german plate on his 2011 jetta

todays progress..... DIY frame rail end I:I
would have finished it had it not started lightening bad :eek:
and self tapping oil drain plug to replace the stripped/leaking existing one in the aluminum oil pan, and fresh oil.

this is the same powder coated box tubing from a treadmill my neighbor gave me, that i made dualstroke an engine stand out of. it is the same gauge steel as the existing box frame on the car. I found a piece that fit in perfectly top to bottom. but needed to be 1" wider to fit side to side. so i split a piece lengthwise 1" wide and welded it to the full box piece for a perfect fit

it fits so good it needs tapped to slide in, and is back into the frame at least 6-8" before it hits a bend. the very ends of the cars frame rail still need tapped in slightly yet for welding.
the vertical piece was existing to the treadmill ?

2pyruhd.jpg

141qzjo.jpg

after attaching the core support and bumper rebar to give me the correct spacing/alignment, the original mounting plate, we cut from the damaged rail, will get welded to the home brew end, fully welded to the existing frame rail, and hide it all with a coat of spray on bedliner :D

2hpq9ns.jpg

with damaged core support hung just for reference

2ym84u9.jpg

vn137q.jpg

i still need a bumper cover, smoked side and bumper cover marker lights to arrive, some putty/paint on the hood.
and also going to do valve cover (leaking) and intake gaskets, and possibly replace the "crack pipe" (google it) while the front end is off and everything is easy to get too

Last edited:
whts ur point????.................

my point is..... if i was your age, i'd run that vanity plate. i'm trying to be just a tiny bit more respectable in my old age :eek:

Lookin good AWK. Keep it up and you'll be smokin tires in no time.

it's got traction control, which must be turned off everytime the car is started if unwanted, the chances of me remembering to do that everytime aren't good.
my luck...i'll want to light them up for some reason and forget the ASC is on X(

it's got traction control, which must be turned off everytime the car is started if unwanted, the chances of me remembering to do that everytime aren't good.
my luck...i'll want to light them up for some reason and forget the ASC is on X(

just some how disable it??? LOL

The frame end looks nice!!! Good job!! Making progress on this beast quickly. Daily driver in 2 weeks!! :) BTW the plate is spelled wrong awks v fuk n dub or HLNS v fuk n dub!!!!!!!!!!!

the used hood i got in the $100 parts deal took a considerable amount of tweaking to get the gaps right everywhere.
not sure how, but both front corners were bent down ?
and there is a deer hoof print dented in the center, nothing some bondo can't cure !

the airplane paint stripper i've used with great results on numerous blaster frames, barely touched the blue paint on this hood, the first coat quickly took all of the clearcoat off,
the second took some of the blue, and a 3rd coat barely softened the remaining blue, so my worker took a razor blade to it,
my crystal ball shows he has quite a bit of sanding to do in his near future :)

i'm also not digging the twist the actual steel bumper has in it, so that'll get replaced too, $61 more isn't a reason 1/2 ass it now

3134w3q.jpg

Last edited:
i could have had 100's of 5 spd. VW's,
auto's are harder to find
my other 7 were all sticks
but i'm not into all that shifting anymore in city traffic,

plus my girl is going to tool around in this too, and i'm not sure anyone could teach her non-driving ass to use a stick :eek:
lmao so this is her car then hehehehe
well, i didn't have to drive the ranger after all, my buddies boss called off work today,he saw us loading up this morning and offered to drive his new silverado, i jumped on that idea I:I

she's home !

it fires right up and sounds great, power everything all works as it should.
the damage does not appear to be as bad as the ebay seller made it out to be, i honestly think i'll get away with a little straightening, a rad/core support, hood and bumper cover ?
i think i can just fix the mounting tabs on the Halo Projector light, it mounts solid and all the adjustment is inside the light itself, every halo and light works, just needs mounted I:I

not sure how the airbags didn't go off ?, the sensor is just hanging there...

funny how that dosent happen when you need it

so far this vdub sounds like its gonna be a bitchen ride except for the automatic suck cervice (ASC) those things drive me crazy X(

Last edited by a moderator:
Had an interesting VW experience last week. 2009 TDI had a check engine light come on, took it to the dealer, Diesel Particulate Filter (DPF) is overfilled, needs replacement, $6800!

Steve

Had an interesting VW experience last week. 2009 TDI had a check engine light come on, took it to the dealer, Diesel Particulate Filter (DPF) is overfilled, needs replacement, $6800!

Steve

:eek::eek::eek::eek:
deisels do have their downfalls !

i'd be willing to give these a try first before spending big $....

miracle in a bottle :D
Wynns Diesel Particulate Filter Cleaner DPF Regenerates Unblocks Soot 28272 | eBay

actual filter cleaning service:
Diesel Particulate Filter DPF Cleaning Service Send US The Dirty Filter to Clean | eBay
(read the description, this sounds legit)

:eek::eek::eek::eek:
deisels do have their downfalls !

i'd be willing to give these a try first before spending big $....

miracle in a bottle :D
Wynns Diesel Particulate Filter Cleaner DPF Regenerates Unblocks Soot 28272 | eBay

actual filter cleaning service:
Diesel Particulate Filter DPF Cleaning Service Send US The Dirty Filter to Clean | eBay
(read the description, this sounds legit)

Yes, VW diesels are not the same old grey mares they were in the 1980s.
They are powerful and sophisticated, and unfortunately complicated.
Once the DPF plugs, its computer will not go into a clean cycle.
In this case VW paid the parts cost even though the car was 6000kms over the warrantee.
I highly recommend Myers VW in Ottawa Ont Canada. Good folks.
Gave us a new VW Jetta hybrid to drive while waiting. Very interesting and sweet car to drive. Quiet and extraordinary good city fuel mileage.

Steve

awk the repairs look professional, most would do butt welds and call it good, which most of the time it is but it's good ur going the extra mile, I had an 02 vr6 back in the day and man she was a blast!! fast ass little car. ur going to enjoy driving it!! u should make ur way down here with it and help me out the bike back together, seems motivation is my issue, and work...

making more progress !
ordered water pump (just because),
valve cover gasket (leaking) and upper intake gaskets on tuesday, they were all on my doorstep by friday !
got them installed today.

/\ partstrain.com rocks, but....
they charge shipping if you order off the website.
i called them for the confusion of their ebay ads to which valve cover gasket fits my vr6 model, and to my surprise, there is zero shipping charges for phone orders ??
that paid off again today, plus !.......

today i ordered an passenger engine splash gaurd ($18), steel bumper reinforcement ($64) and wanted to order a bumper with built in impact strip, the guy tuesday told me $104 shipped.
by today they were sold out, the only option was a $119 bumper, and the impact strip for an extra $60.

i told him i'll order an aftermarket bumper with a little more style for that much money,
he told me hold on,
i heard some mumbling of numbers ect.
he came back on and ask me if $100.40 for both pieces shipped would change my mind :eek:
they are on there way !

Subtotal: $262.49
Tax: $0.00
Shipping: $0.00
Handling: $0.00
Discount: -$79.09 I:I
Total: $183.40

again....partstrain.com rocks !

both inner fenders and the center engine splash gaurd also have some cracks, ordering them from ebay right now, partstrain didn't have them.
gonna grab a new serpentine belt at the local advanced auto

already in motion from ebay is a K&N oil filter, new H20 "crack pipe", stock style antenna base with carbon fiber 3" stubby stem to replace that stupid looking sharks fin antenna someone put on there.

still need to order the spoiler for under the bumper and both rht/lft lower bumper grills,
i have the center piece.
and although i have a stock grill, i sure am liking the looks of this badgeless grill for $41........

$(KGrHqR,!i!FBbDCIz3RBQkJJPcoig~~60_3.JPG

no sense to order a K&N air filter, as it's getting a WeaponR CAI very soon, follwed by a techtonics catback system asap.

ETA. of 2 weeks max till............

33er38y.jpg

Thanks for posting the info. Ill have to check them out. Never used them before.

i forget their name on ebay, and deleted the saved parts after i ordered them,
thats where i got the number to call...
800-311-5148
practice your hindu accent before you call I:I
but very helpful
tuesdays guy had me look on discountbodyparts.com to confirm parts.
then todays guy told me to look on alldiscountautoparts.com, which redirected me to partstrain.com
apparently all tied together somehow ?
just checked, i can track the orders with the order# on all 3 sites ?
no matter the name, i'm all about the free shipping I:I
most sellers on ebay wanted $125-145 shipping for that bumper cover alone

i may have to get a "dubway" sticker for my moms GTI

you may have to get us pics of her.................. GTI I:I