Are you Skilled enough?

BlasterChris08

Sep 25, 2008
Rhode Island
Guys whats up, sorry I have not been on the forum the past couple days but I have a story to tell you guys bout trying to do things yourself. So as some of you might no my blaster seized up completely about two months ago. This happened because before i went to the sand dunes that day I took off the oil injection tube from the tank to get some crap out of the oil and when I put it back on I did not realize that I needed to prime the oil back into the engine so it was running with no oil! So three weeks ago when I saved up bout 500 bucks I dropped the engine off at a shop to rebuild the whole thing with wiseco preformance in it. Not onyl did it need to be rebuilt but the cluth basket was cracked so i had to by a new one which was like 200. Then a couple days ago the guy at the shop calls me up and says that i sould just bring my whole quad by for him to put all back together so i didnt screw anything else up which was another 100. Today he calls and when i put the swingarm bolt throught the frame and swingarm bringin it to the shop i didnt have the sleeves in the swingarm bolt holes. The bearing fell out so i have to now pay the guy for new bearings and for labor about another 100 dollars. Im not sure because im going to pick my quad up tommorow but this "rebuild" will probaly have cost me about $750 bucks! Because of some stupid little thing I did. Trust me I know how expensive shops can be but if you try and do somthing yourself that your weary about then seriously do not try it, youll end up just having to pay someone else to fix the problems you made worse. Also, if someone is going to make a "how to" post then explain things in alot of detail and use lots of pics because it helps alot more!Hope this helps someone out. I'll def. get some sweet pics of my brand new quad for yall tommorow.peace

man, its just if you dont know how to do it, dont do it. i freakin changed my crank myself with no issues. im not a small engine mechanic, but i know some sh*t and learn fast and have a eye for this sh*t to just wing stuff and think of ways to do sh*t thats giving problems.

if you arent sure you can do it, doesnt hurt to try, but you pretty much gota be able to do it, unless its way out of your league. a place like blasterforum is great because if you run into a snag, just come here and ask for help. plenty of knowledgable people to ask.

but as you forgot to put the sleeves in the swingarm, thats just a easy thing to make sure you dont forget if its not obvious to you. either put them out somewhere on your work bench that you will see them, or put them in the bin that you put all your parts. that way you see it and go oh sh*t i gota put those back.

couple other tips would be if you take out the tranny oil, leave the cap OFF and with your parts up untill you fill it, so u cant forget. not a blaster but if you drain the coolant, leave the cap off, again same reason. a clean work area is the best tool. if theres nothing on it for other projects, anything there, must go back. simple.

yeah, i never take my bike to a mechanic, back when i didnt know anything, i took it to them to split my cases and replace 2nd gear, and they just made things complicated and it costed way too much.
i have a few how to's, i can always write one up for someone needing help

from a mechanics point of view, when someone brings me a sportbike that they modded themselves and then messed up, its 3 times the headache to repair it back to where it was before they doinked with it. i understand that most people learn from experience, but PLEASE for the love of everything holy, if you think you may be getting in over your head, call a friend that may have experience to help. if you absolutely cant find anyone to help that may know what they are doing, i hope you have the $$$ to repair anything that needs to get fixed at the shop.

heres an example of one of the worst OOPSIES that i have repaired.

a guy that works for me decided to swap his front sprocket on his yamaha R6. he got the new front sprocket on but failed to torque the nut to the required 80 foot pounds. (later he complained to me at how tight it was from the factory) well, once at highway speeds, he quickly realized what happens if you dont get that nut tight enough. it came off at 70mph and sent that nut flying through the side of his engine and lodged it internally into his transmission. once this happened, it locked up his motor and now the chain is flopping around dragging behind him and he is praying that it doesnt catch anything while he brings the bike to a grinding stop on the highway. if that chain had come off or snagged any type of road debris, it could have killed him in the process.

luckily, he has me on his side to bring the bike to and can avoid the dealership. it cost me $1200 to buy a new motor on ebay and i charged him only $150 to assist in putting it in. but what i did, was made him come to my garage and he performed all the labor himself while i stood over him like a foreman telling how to do it step by step. he learned a lot that day. the two things he learned the most from the ordeal were that its much more costly to do it right the second time around, and that a torque wrench is your best friend and one of the best single most investments you can make besides a service manual for any DIY home mechanic.

sound like you were out of ur league and just arnt smart or good at working on atvs..

I never even attempt anything that I don't think I can do. But if something goes wrong i just come on here and theres tons of awesome people to help =] I:I

Lefty loosy, righty tighty!, and get a bigger hammer!, thats all you need to know!

lmao, that reminds me of when I asked my dad what to do since the brakes were rusted together on my car so it wouldnt move.. i told him i had hit on it all day with a hammer and he said "well hit it with a bigger hammer"
hahaha

also:
the only 2 tools you need are
1.wd40
2.duct tape

if it doesnt move and should use wd40, if it moves and shouldnt use the duct tape

thats the easiest way to sdo it. put like a 1/4 tank of premix in it, run it out, then it should be pumping normal again. wouldnt hurt to change your plug after that as well since you are loading a bunch of oil into the motor after that.

easiest way is to save urself the headache and do away with the oil pump. its only a matter of time until u bust another piston because ur oil pump takes a sh*t or cant keep up.

y u all bash on oil injection.. it saves u a pain in the ass and eventually everything needs to be fixed even the piston why spend 30 bucks to put something on that will devalue the bike? my bro had a blsty for like 5 yrs nothing ever went wrong..

i like the ease of use for the oil injection. i've had several blasters and never a problem with it at all. if it ever fails on me, then ill block it off when i rebuild the motor. until then, ill be filling that little bottle on back

i would love to have an increased fuel capacity without a huge ass pregnant looking gas tank like the extended range tanks that are currently out. i hate that my 400ex can go all day on one tank of gas and my blaster only makes it about 2 hours.

I dont have oil injection on mine but Ive been thinking that if your not using the tank for oil why not hook it up as an extra gas tank

Hmm interesting idea... Could set it up as an aux tank. However it is sealed, and you would have to have it vented.. But still interesting.