96 blaster rode in water then stopped.

Will French

Nov 28, 2016
Taylorsville KY
i have a 96 blaster rode through a creek then made it about two hundred feet of no more than half throttle then it died. now 2 days later it fired and ran for about 5 minutes or so then died it will fire and start but runs bad and take 4 to 6 kicks to get it too start. bad throttle response. when i put it in to gear it will barely roll and the it will die. i have been riding pretty hard the past 2 days before it died but it still did fine it just all the sudden shut off. i had noticed some electrical problems the past couple days from the head light not working until i truned the handle bars to the kill switch no working at all.
3 days ago i replace the reeds on it but other than that thats all i have done besides a throttle and carb addjustment but it has done fine.

you should check for air leaks on intake boot seeing how it was removed.
reeds could still be an issue if not sitting flush.
your last compression check was 115psi,check it again is it any lower?
remove the flywheel plastic cover and see if there is water in there.
clean and inspect carb by taking it apart

My buddy hit a puddle on my Blaster last May, and it didn't want to run at all after that. Turns out that little splash was enough to cause my stator to act up. We cleaned it, put it all back together and rode the rest of the weekend.

Take a look and clean all that off....Might be shocked at what you find.

It started and ran fine for about a hour or 2 then got it on the road and it died had to push it back got a new NKG B8ES spark plug gapped at .028 or so. Did a compression test and it was about 105 or 110 it has nice blue spark and it had some moisture on the spark plug after a few kicks and still nothing

I'm pretty experienced at getting wet:
https://www.facebook.com/steve.best3/videos/vb.549110802/10150947725455803/
https://www.facebook.com/steve.best3/videos/vb.549110802/10150947660815803/

My Blaster is actually floating in much of those vids.

It took a lot of work to get the airbox tight so water cannot get in.
Here is a look at my seat and airbox seal/mods:
156290_10150946179370803_2078151696_n.jpg

The seat is the top lid of the airbox and the box draws its air from in front of the seat and from under the gastank cover. The seat has a thick foam gasket on it just like the gasket for the filter holder. it seals on the edge (lip) of the airbox.
531332_10150946179240803_851116526_n.jpg

As you can see, it is not perfect at keeping water and mud out. The filter has a Wetskin waterproof nylon over it. Water and mud is still hard on gear, but I am still on the original piston/bore on this motor.

The carb vent lines have to go up high so they don't draw in water.
It sounds like you have drawn water into the float bowl.
Unscrew the bowl plug (17mm wrench?) and drain the water and fuel.
It will run again.

Salt water will kill the electrical fast but the stock electrical is pretty tough.
I use a bit of silicone dialectic sparkplug grease on all the connections and any cracks.
For rugged backwoods use by an adult I am a fan of removing the TORS and various brake kill switches for reliability. This Blaster is drum bakes too. Not great for water but they work.

Last edited:
I'm pretty experienced at getting wet:
https://www.facebook.com/steve.best3/videos/vb.549110802/10150947725455803/
https://www.facebook.com/steve.best3/videos/vb.549110802/10150947660815803/

My Blaster is actually floating in much of those vids.

It took a lot of work to get the airbox tight so water cannot get in.
Here is a look at my seat and airbox seal/mods:
156290_10150946179370803_2078151696_n.jpg

The seat is the top lid of the airbox and the box draws its air from in front of the seat and from under the gastank cover. The seat has a thick foam gasket on it just like the gasket for the filter holder. it seals on the edge (lip) of the airbox.
531332_10150946179240803_851116526_n.jpg

As you can see, it is not perfect at keeping water and mud out. The filter has a Wetskin waterproof nylon over it. Water and mud is still hard on gear, but I am still on the original piston/bore on this motor.

The carb vent lines have to go up high so they don't draw in water.
It sounds like you have drawn water into the float bowl.
Unscrew the bowl plug (17mm wrench?) and drain the water and fuel.
It will run again.

Salt water will kill the electrical fast but the stock electrical is pretty tough.
I use a bit of silicone dialectic sparkplug grease on all the connections and any cracks.
For rugged backwoods use by an adult I am a fan of removing the TORS and various brake kill switches for reliability. This Blaster is drum bakes too. Not great for water but they work.[/QUI cleaned the carb a runs perfic now it does not have the vet lines I guess I just have to be careful when it gets in real deep water thanks guys