• Total voters
i voted 250R,
as i have had both,
400ex and 450r on my bike, and still run the 250R on the black bike
the 250R is a plusher, longer traveling shock, possibly due to the fact it
requires the shock mount to be moved back about an inch, unless you like the
trailer park jacked up camaro look
the 400ex bolts right on

Hey Awk: doesn't the 250r shock have the remote reservior? Also, do you know if both the TRX250R and ATC250R have the same rear shock?

Q10: I have an LTR450 rear shock, which is pretty much the same as the TRX450 rear shock. Same reservioir location, length etc. Awesome rear shock. You won't find an LTR450 shock as cheap as I paid for mine. I found mine on ebay for $0.99, No Reserve, and $12 shipping. I was the only bid at $1.00 and won it for $13 shipped.

I know that the 400ex shocks are known to have a bouncey, buckey feeling. Now i'm not toooooo sure on any of this, but I beleive you can send it in to... GT thunder?... to have it resprung and revalved for your weight and all that......

i know the guys with the 400s have to do that.... but with the swap...... i have no idea :D maybe someone will know what i'm trying to say and finish it! lol

Hey Awk: doesn't the 250r shock have the remote reservior? Also, do you know if both the TRX250R and ATC250R have the same rear shock?

as far as i know, all the 250r shocks have a remote resivior.
when i bought mine, it was advertised as a '87 trx 250r shock.
and the shock mount needs moved back 1+ inches to return the bike near stock ride height.

does the 450r bolt right up with kens bushings?

yep.....kinda.
the KOR bushings and bolt work the same.
but the 450r shock has an offset rezzie, to the kicker side.
to get it to fit, you must cut off the front most frame mount and the tab on the plastics.
it is a slightly better shock than the 400ex...IMO

mount that needs cut off circled in red........
4789-cfm-box-mounts.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Cr250R