3 Cylinder 2 Stroke Build

WishingBig

May 27, 2014
NW PA
So the work was already done but it seems i'm left with the finishing touches. A few of you have already seen the pictures of my wheeler in my introductory thread. A few things left to touch up and this thing should be running like a champ.

The motor specs you ask? 1975 Kawasaki S3 400cc Triple Cylinder Two Stroke.
Years produced: 1974-1975
Claimed power: 42hp @ 7,000rpm
Top speed: 97mph (period test)
Engine type: 400cc, air-cooled, two-stroke inline triple
Weight (dry): 155kg (339lb)
For those who haven't seen my wheeler heres a few pictures of it.
0531140720_zpsqvzdzsgo.jpg
0531140719_zpsgp5ox9we.jpg

SO what's left you ask? Well the Carbs have been rebuilt but still have plenty of tuning to do. As of now 1 carb leaks because the float isn't at the appropriate level or is bent. So whats this mean? I'm pretty screwed until i can figure it out perfect.

Next is the exhaust. It's extremely loud to even ride you have to have ear plugs or muffs on. So that's the hardest part for me to figure out as i don't have anything to make a custom exhaust, my welder and welding skills are weak. Well, my welder isn't weak it's too strong for the exhaust and will burn through it.

Once those two are fixed then i'll focus on the looks. Bigger Brakes, New seat, going to repaint the plastics some kind of deep purple, longer swingarm and new tires.

I didn't put the motor in. I traded a junk vehicle for it lol.. If the motor has to come out i have to cut the mounts out.

looks to me like some weird expansion chambers and no silencers? not sure how that thing works. Do you know how it is setup originally on the Kawasaki? I bet its gonna rip!!

Its a 2 stroke, and I know for a fact those kawi triples mooove.. and yes they are loud.. That motor on a blaster u better be careful man..

Tractor tires are so i don't lift it up and do wheelies all the time i guess lol. I'm looking at baffles for it just a matter of figuring it out completely and time. Usually work 120+ hours every two weeks so lol.

So got the carbs to stop leaking due to floats.. Now one carb is leaking where it shouldn't be. Extremely confused don't have a picture of where its leaking. Posted over at the triples forum hopefully they can give me a hand.

maybe on of you could give me a hand. It's leaking from a pin like this
4c62e652-96bc-4d4b-91d2-85fe89708937_zpsd323a0cc.jpg

Last edited:
Don't know for sure, but I'd get a bottle of carb cleaner, put the tube on the cap, and spray through it to see where it goes. If it goes to the bottom, you may have float problems still.

agreed^^^ also, that nipple is the carb vent. if gas is running out of it, your float is most likely stuck open. if gas is running out of there, chances are, is also running into the motor.

Thats an old picture the carbs are now cleaned and i'm running UNI Pod filters on them. That was the first thing done to this wheeler.

And thanks dave! I'll get back to it sometime today. That float really didn't move as much as the others i think i have one more needle left.