23" rear tires for ltr250 for nasty trails?

Feb 28, 2010
Kailua-Kona, HI
wondering what u guys think. I had 22"s on my raptor and for nasty trails I LOVED that setup. I basically want to get an ltr250 and use it for all the stuff I don't do with my 450 lol. I MAY get a blaster but my buddy still never got me the pix I've been asking him to get me...

local shop has a set of bear claws in 23x10x10 so I figured those would be perfect for the kind of stuff I wanna do, mucky mudd, some sand and loose crap like gravel/cinder and lava rock type trails. rocky stuff I like a hard compound, loose stuff I like the aggressive mud tires, rambling hard plenty of sidewall (thus utility quad tires) and 23"s clearly will have good ground clearance lol

thanks for any help. I figure the tires are alot for a 2 stroke but the ltr I'm thinkin of getting at least has a powervalve motor... if not I may be destined for another 4 stroker :( if I do it will be oldschool or something with reverse... did the old polaris 2 smokes have reverse? that'd be fun maybe :D

IIRC, the lt250r came with 21" tires stock. 23" tires would help out nicely. just make sure you have the power to turn the extra weight and gear it correctly and you shouldn't have any worries.
for the power, a good pipe will be enough. but some porting and head work will make it even better.

23s wil be fine on a lt250r you may have to or want to drop a tooth on the front sproket for mudd and sand but the power valve motors are great trail machinesi was running 20'' itp black waters on the rear of my lt250r for the longest time and even with a 13t front it had more than enough power

^^There you go. Those old Polaris 2-strokes are indestructable. My wife rides a '97 Trailboss and it is an absolute tank. We've rolled it, swamped it, mudded it, and just rode the Hell out of it in general. Both of us love it. Polaris machines aren't that fast, but are still lots of fun for trails.

They are one 2-stroke quad that I don't mind leaving the oil injection alone on. It works, and the engine seldom revs past 5K, so why mess with it? Oh, and they all have reverse, as far as I know. You'd like a LT250r better for trails, but a Polaris is a good back-up or old beater quad to keep around. They have a low-performance Fuji engine in them that just won't die. The electric starters do break more than most, but they have a recoil (pull) starter as a back-up.

we had a 90 trail boss 250 it was sunk, mudded, jumped, rolled flipped, broke trew the ice on the river and floated, used it to pull cars around the driveway...

made it 19 years on the original top end before the guy we traded itt o ran it out of oil... and if you have the bug to go faster aaen sells clutch kits for them, and porting, and pipes, and fmf sells pipes for them to... id like a trail blazer 400 for a trail machine, 400 2 stroke oil injected full auto... or a scrambler 400.. there oil injection is fool proof!! been on there sleds for ever! and if there stock you dont need to rejet for cold

sweet :D

I have a set of holeshot XCRs 22" front and 20" rear for regular stuff but half the time I'll probably be running it into stuff I don't think people would do on a sport quad lol