2004 blaster run on just gas

my375hp302

May 11, 2017
So Im new here, and new to 2 strokes. I am a heavy equipment mechanic by trade so I know a decent amount about diesel and gas engines, but almost nothing about 2 strokes. So I just bought a pretty clean 2004 blaster from a buddy for 400 bucks. It only has 30 psi of compression. It has the oil injection bypassed and his kids ran strait gas in it. I know the top end is toast, but what do you think about the bottom end? Im not sure what would be damaged first, the crank or the top end. I bought a chinese cylinder, a wiseco piston kit, carb rebuild kit, and a new air filter. I know the chinese cylinders are crap and need some work, but I just want to get it up and running. I have bigger plans down the road and didnt want to put the money into boring the stock cylinder right now. Thoughts and opinions?

It only has 30 psi of compression.

How'd you perform the test? What type of gauge did you use?

what do you think about the bottom end?

How much does piece of mind mean to you? When you pull off the cylinder, you'll see if the piston chipped away, or broke off into pieces. Chances are if it did break off it shot out the exhaust pipe. Double check if you want to insure everything is sound.

I bought a chinese cylinder, a wiseco piston kit, carb rebuild kit, and a new air filter.

Your best bet was to bore your stock cylinder. A bore is $50, and a wiesco set is maybe $90 shipped. If I had to guess, you paid about the same for the set up you ordered. That doesn't count the cost of having to have the flaws of the Chinese cylinder worked out.

I know the chinese cylinders are crap and need some work, but I just want to get it up and running.

KOR has an active thread going about his progress with these cylinder kits. Have a read: http://www.blasterforum.com/threads/more-info-on-the-chinese-blaster-cylinder.66076/

Running a 2 stroke engine without oil in the fuel will starve the rod end and main bearings of oil and I would suspect that too they will need replacing.