2003 kfx 400 gas in the oil and wont run?

razorback746

Jan 19, 2010
Dayton,Ohio
ok i just got an 03 kfx 400 and the guy said the carb needed to be cleaned. anyways i put a new plug in it and tried to get it to run but nothing. its getting spark and has 120 lbs of compression. took the carb apart and seen a thin line of green slim (thinking this is anti-freeze). put the carb back on and no fire. went to drain the oil and it looked like water coming out. it was very thin and smelled like gas. here im thinking needle and seat is letting gas out. is this the reason of my quad not firing?

^^Agreed. You've got gas in the oil. Gasoline-diluted oil will smell like gas and be very runny. If you've got water or coolant in the oil, it will be milky white. I'd take your carb back apart, clean or replace the needle and seat, and try again. And obviously drain ALL the oil oil out AND change the filter before going to try to start it again.

i took every jet out and cleaned them and cleaned the needle but i think the oil and gas was in it when i bought it but is this the reason for it not running the plug doesnt seem wet at all and no color cause the plugs new.

Gasoline-diluted oil won't prevent the engine from starting, but it will cause damage to the engine if you get it started with that contaminated oil in the crankcase. Be sure that the gas is turned on. Crack the bowl drain screw on the carb to see if gas runs out. If so, you've got fuel at least coming into the bowl on the carb. No gas? Tap the bowl with a screwdriver handle to be sure your float isn't stuck.

If your plug is still dry and you're not getting gas to the engine, check your valves, especially the intake valve lash (clearance). An intake valve that is set too tight on a 4-stroke is like bad reeds on our Blasters; you'll crank on it all day long, the plug will stay dry, and it'll never fire.

the engine needs rebuilt. gas shouldn't be in the oil even if you are flooding it.
most likely need new rings or you might have a head problem.

ok that was my next place was to check my valves. this is y i always had blasters lol but i gotta get all new oil and filters ill check it tomorow thanks

i have 120 lbs of compression so idk if it would be the rings my teacher said if the float needle sticks it can cause it to run thru the head and into the cases

^^Carb problems will flood an engine out; there are two types of flooding. Just cranking on the engine with the choke shut won't put gas into the oil, but if you have (or had) a carb problem, the fuel supply from the tank will run through the engine and into the crankcase.

I see this all the time on riding lawnmowers; they can flood to the point that the engine hydro-locks from all the excess gasoline! Lol, of course you're not working on a riding mower, but still...

He's right, even if it has good compression it can still seep past the valves and piston into the oil if the floats are stuck or not set right and the bowl over flows. Particularly if it stops with the intake valve open, thats provides a straigh shot for an overflowing bowl to flood an engine. The Rings have end gaps and will allow some fuel to slowly leak past into the oil. it wouldn't take much to make it smell like gas and start thinning it down. Also if it has a puddle of gas on the piston and you try to crank it it can foul the plug out and all the pressure from the cylinder will keep pushing the gas through the end gaps and around the rings and through the little oil holes in the piston grooves even faster as you crank on it. gas is tricky it can make it through some really tiny spots.

being in the automotive field pretty much all my workin life, there shouldnt be gas in the oil, reasons for this are washed out cylinder walls, worn rings, chances are if it does eventially run it willl smoke.. as in burning oil, 120 is low for a 4 stroke motor

iv seen diluted oil alot in old carburated cars that ether have wore rings or over sized carbs and wash out the cyl walls,

by washing out the cylinder walls there is no oil to lubricate them, and the rings and cyl walls wear and you get your low compression,

im willing to bet if you drain alllll the oil out of the crank case, set the piston at bottom dead center ( all the way down) and fill the cylinger threw the spark plug hole with 2 stroke oil ( get a colored oil like a cheap 40:1 bottle for aweed wacker ( normally blue or green) or even will the cyl with 5/30 oil and let it sit for a day or two. there will be oil in the lower end from wore rings