2003 cr125 complete compression loss

jrblaster15

Jul 30, 2009
Rhode island
i just rebuilt my cr125 with new rings and gaskets i was riding today and it lost all compression. i can pop start it and it runs but really bad there is not powerband and suggestions

just sent my buddy's 94 cr125 cylinder to ken oconnor, he said he lost powerband, and it was running like sh*t, after checking all the obvious things, cleaning carb, and filter, checkin spark, ect. ect.
i checked compression, i checked it last cause i just did it 3 weeks ago, it had 165lbs of compression, now i check it again and its down to 120, in 3 weeks time ??????
so out to ken oconnor it went
we'll see what he finds

did you check the reeds, sounds like one has a crack or chip

just throwing it out there but is the pipe loose that might affect the powerband but idk deff do what awk said but how is the cylinder and kinda a stupid question but did you mix the gass too lean cuz you might have blown your top end

yeah, head gasket too, did you re-torque after the heat cycles

i am pretty sure that i didnt blow the top end because i can pop start it but the power band donesnt work but today i am gonna check the reeds gaskets and i am gonna see if i assembled the power valve right

well i jus took it apart the reeds look like they are in good condition they are vforce and one of thm looks to be a little lose but no cracks or chips. the powervalve was fine. everything was torced down. i was running bennys 2 stroke oil in it. the last time i rode it i didnt have enough gas so i filled topped off my tank with my friends gass he was running gp7 oil so i think that that was a bad idea i was running around 32:1 he was runing 50:1 and i had half of tank or each. i am startng to lean towards that i blew it up?

then you've got a serious problem in there somewhere. either leaking headgasket or the top end is gone

Pull the pipe off and look up in the exhaust port. You'll be able to see the piston and ring, then go from there. Sounds like she's blown

well if you say it runs good, sounds like you by-passed the break-in heat cycles, so just ride it now, and check the torque on them head bolts after another short ride and cool down

since my first posting on the cr 125, i sent it to ken oconnor, he found the piston/rings to be badly worn, the cylinder was a little scratched up but within specs, and the kid opted to not re-chrome it, ken got me a new piston/rings/gasket set and it got shipped back this morning, fast service, again, he thinks it'll be just fine for a while